• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2

ida34

ackcarus said:
Does anyone have a picture of a serial number on a truck, I would rather not take all the nice DEEP green paint off (unless I need too).

Tks
Try taking a piece of paper and a pencil and rub the pencil across like you do to a pad of paper to see what was last written on it. It may bring it out. If this does not work then you will need to mess up the nice deep green paint. Spray cans are available from various venders but it will not be carc if that is what you have there. You could just put on a light coat so the numbers stay legible.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
ida34 said:
ackcarus said:
Does anyone have a picture of a serial number on a truck, I would rather not take all the nice DEEP green paint off (unless I need too).

Tks
Try taking a piece of paper and a pencil and rub the pencil across like you do to a pad of paper to see what was last written on it. It may bring it out. If this does not work then you will need to mess up the nice deep green paint. Spray cans are available from various venders but it will not be carc if that is what you have there. You could just put on a light coat so the numbers stay legible.
I have a 109A3 with mismatched numbers, so I had to scrape off the paint, I'll post a pic soon

ackcarus

Is there any other place it could be? I had already cleaned that part off and nothing. I just cleaned off that entire area top to bottom and nothing. The front axle has a data plate that says 6/72 and the axle hosing is stamped with 1968. The other axle’s data plates are damaged and unreadable but the axle hosing are stamped 1968 also. I still have no real idea who made this thing or what year it was made. I appreciate all your help on this.

Thanks

PS does anyone know what this thing on the draglink is?

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
ackcarus said:
Is there any other place it could be? I had already cleaned that part off and nothing. I just cleaned off that entire area top to bottom and nothing. The front axle has a data plate that says 6/72 and the axle hosing is stamped with 1968. The other axle’s data plates are damaged and unreadable but the axle hosing are stamped 1968 also. I still have no real idea who made this thing or what year it was made. I appreciate all your help on this.

Thanks

PS does anyone know what this thing on the draglink is?
That is a very dangerous part, removed from most all M35's, Carefully remove it and send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you. ;)

ida34

The biggest problem you have is that it was depot rebuilt. They mix up the stuff when they are depot rebuilt so most likely all your stuff is not original to the truck. The only original thing is the frame. Your air assist is limiting your access but the number is back there and it is the only thing that will tell you what year to use for the truck. That is unless you want to guess. The number on the depot rebuild tag is probably the right number but since the number is not right by what Medlog said I really think you need to get the frame numbers.

ackcarus

I cleaned off that area from top to bottom of the frame in 18-inch long area. Unless it is a deferent place, it’s not there. In the picture you can see part of the bracket just above the pitman arm hole, no sign of any numbers. I think I’m lost on this one???? I don’t know how to get a hold of David Doyle, can someone HELP, please…

Attachments

ida34

Thats interesting. I do think that some of the earlier serial numbers were in front of the steering arm bracket but I would wait for someone else to chime in before grinding more. Did you have to take off your air assist drag link?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck is correct, if it's an early truck, the number could be forward ot the pitman arm. Do this simple test, go to the passender side of the frame right in the area of the rear spring mount. Above that the rear engine mount is attached to the frame. It will be attached to the frame with 4 rivets or 4 bolts in a square pattern. Let me know if it has bolts or rivets. There is also the slight possibility that it has a replacement frame. I know Wayne Harris bought a new frame from GL once.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Um, I hope you didn't sand off to much, I used a wire wheel because I was affraid to remove metal, and thus the numbers.

ackcarus

I looked on the right side and more on the left. Can’t find anything.
SO

1969 Kaiser-Jeep with new frame.

It is in GREAT shape, 6700 miles and everything works good but the transfer case is GREAT also.

ackcarus

I just remembered that the registration number implies that it is at least a 1972 NKOFPI and the front def tag says 6/1972
and that would be an AM General??