• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ackcarus said:
I don’t know how to get a hold of David Doyle, can someone HELP, please…
PM him. I think Gimpyrobb siad something about him being out of town in KY. I know he gets busy from time to time with all the articles and books he's working on. Give him time he'll be around.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
Mine is on the right side frame rail (passenger side) :?
Jeff,
You do realize that the long number at the bottom in your photo (10872QQ5 or such) is the part number of the frame - not the VIN.

Since this number is common to a lot of trucks, one of these days there will become titling issues for some folks because of this.

BTW - really enjoyed visiting with you Friday.

Sincerely,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I don't recall ever getting your PM Daniel. However, your truck VIN 0325-12769 was built by Kaiser-Jeep in 1968, and assigned registration number NKOFP1. It was built on contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle said:
I don't recall ever getting your PM Daniel. However, your truck VIN 0325-12769 was built by Kaiser-Jeep in 1968, and assigned registration number NKOFP1. It was built on contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
David, How can it have a "NK" number and be a 1968? It was my understanding that they didn't start the "NK" numbering system untill 1972. I'm just trying to learn more about the registration and serial numbers on these trucks.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
DDoyle said:

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
David, How can it have a "NK" number and be a 1968? It was my understanding that they didn't start the "NK" numbering system untill 1972. I'm just trying to learn more about the registration and serial numbers on these trucks.
Correct - and I am still looking into how this came to pass. There appears to have been about a thousand older (not new build) trucks assigned NK registration numbers in about 1984 (which, in the big scheme of things, isn't a lot). These trucks had all been previously built by Reo, Studebaker, U-B, K-J, etc.

Whereas for a few years registration numbers increment directly in relation to VIN, in most years they are only very loosely related. HOWEVER, these "odd" NK registration numbers have no relationship whatsoever to the VIN numbers (or manufacturers).

I suspect that this is the result of a large rebuilding program. Registration numbers are normally assigned "cradle to grave" - however the army has been known to assign new registration numbers after extensive rebuilding, which typically involves a change in vehicle type (rebuilding a tank into a AVLB, for example). However, thanks to the VIN number "system" devised by Kaiser-Jeep, we know that all these trucks apparently were "born" as cargo trucks (as opposed to being rebodied bolster trucks, etc - although this could explain the "missing" frame number stampings).

Lots more research to be done on our trucks.....

Regards,
David Doyle

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, Thanks for the "explanation". Atleast I know I was right about the numbers not matching. I find the history on these trucks to be very interesting. I would help you on research but have no idea where to look.

Chain-Saw

Digging up an old thread here, but I've about reached the limits of my search "Fu". I got a Reply in the 2011 VIN info thread from Carnac, but I've got an M35A3 that I'd like to know the original Mfg. and year of Mfg. based on the Frame Serial #.
It shows: 22 2793-L on the front drivers side frame, with the part # 10872004 beneath that.
Before I submit the SF097 as a '93 AM General, was hoping I could get closer to the '70's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wes.