• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C's with Winch... A rare breed?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Seems that M35A2's with Winch are common.. M35A2C's are less common, but M35A2C's with factory winches are very rare.. I've only seen a handful on GL over the past year or 2. Havent seen one in real life. Anyone know why???

Even more harder to find......... USAF M35A2C's with factorywinches are VERY rare..................

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35A2C

Guess the military still wants to keep them for their own use. After all, we all wish we had a M35A2C w/w, don't you think that Uncle Sam wants theirs as well?

TacticalTruck

Yes, very rare. Mines a fake and I think I got the only M35A2C w/w data plate in existence. They do have a NSN. DDoyle and I talked about it once I'm sure he chime in.
Jeff

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've got a data base with the VINS and and reg numbers of over a thousand deuces - three are by VIN number a M35A2C with winch, one each from lot 7, 9 and 10.

I may have come across more - because if I don't get both VIN AND reg number I don't record it.

DD

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, would it be worthwhile to you, or a good idea for the website, to start a registry for deuces (or other trucks for that matter) to include date of delivery, model, VINS/reg number, etc.? M715Zone.com has that for the M715 series. Might be a worthwhile endeavor.

Adamlee

deuces wild

TacticalTruck said:
Yes, very rare. Mines a fake and I think I got the only M35A2C w/w data plate in existence. They do have a NSN. DDoyle and I talked about it once I'm sure he chime in.
Jeff
hey, I took that picture!

Warrenton 2003 or 2004, Memorial Day parade, right?

adam lee

aboonski

I have a 1968 M35A2C with a winch. It looks as though someone converted the truck from a non-turbo to a turbo - unfortunately a D turbo. Everything else looks to be factory stock. I have never folded the sides down yet but it is nice to know that this can be done. Some things are just easier loaded from the side when you are using a fork lift. I bought a new data plate that has all the info, i.e., M35A2C W/W and just need to have my registration number stamped into it. Mine also came with a hardtop which allows the truck to be secured. I added the air assist power steering and now it is a real pleasure to take just about anywhere!

Armada

Interesting.... I never knew a dropside with a winch was such a rare bird. Wonder why that is? Always learning something here.
Here is my '71 M35A2C W/W. Although it didn't start out that way. It was just your average M35 WO/W. I still have the originall data plate in it from when uncle sam released it, so it's no secret what it used to be. I added the winch and dropside myself.

Attachments

frankentruck

Now I am kind of curious about my dropside. I am surprised to hear they are rare with original winches. I got the deuce last month and I am trying to figure out its origins. It is a 1989 M35a2c as far as I know, and it has a winch. How can I tell if it's original or a fake? There is a data plate in the cab warning about winch operation, but that may have been added somewhere along the line. See the pics below.

I like the idea of a registry, by the way. That's my vote if it matters.

Thanks.

Steven

Attachments

nattieleather

What does your main data plate say? Does it say M35A2C w/w? Did you buy it from the gubment or from and individual? Those answers might help your questions.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The first four digits of the VIN stamped in the frame rail are a major clue. Post (or PM) them, and we can see what they tell us.

Regards,
David

aboonski

Check out http://www.mvdataplates.com/ to see if the plate you want is available there. I believe I bought the one for my M35A2C from this guy but not sure. I also have a phone number: area code 480 893-2201 which I had programmed into my phone under the categorie of DATA PLATES and this may be for the same guy. It is also possible that I bought the data plate from an Ebay auction too - it was a while back so I am not sure. If I didn't scan the plate at too high a resolution, I should be able to post it with this reply so here goes! By the way, if anybody out there just has to have an M35A2C W/W, I live on the east coast of Florida halfway between Jacksonville and Miami. I may decide to sell mine after spending a fortune on many upgrades like Air Assisted Power Steering, new bows and canvas, convoy kit, etc. PM me if you are interested! Al Broadbent

Attachments

MrAugust

i got one with winch and had vin run and mines a A1 retro fitted in 69 with wich and drop side body duz this make it reare?> go have a look on my pics im albums Augusts stuff.... havent been on for ages ... oh and mine has big mirro arms and a none whistle turbo but he dont half shif some wot

frankentruck

Thanks for your replies.

I got the truck from a private party who got it from another private party who got it from the government in a base closing. So that could help explain things.

The main data plate says M35a2 w/w, so I am guessing the dropside was added later, though the winch seems to be original. I can also work out the words US Navy and a serial number on the tailgate, so maybe that is the origin of the dropside.

I could not locate a VIN on the frame. Where would that be located? The data plate says the ID number is 04N09871053914013. I could not find a date of manufacture, either, but I suppose that data is coded in the VIN. The paperwork says 1989.

I have looked at the VIN guides on this site and my number doesn't seem to follow them, but I could be reading the guide wrong.

The front and spare tires are Michelin 12.5 x 20s on the front and Goodyear 9 x 20s on the rear. I have four more Michelins with rims, which I am told I could use to convert the rear to singles. Yet another project.

Steven

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks