• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C's with Winch... A rare breed?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Ruck Treadway had an M35A2C w/w with the correct VIN. He ot it from Bruce Kubu.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the Marine Corp Logistics Base in Barstow today. There was an M35A2C w/w there in GL's yard. It had the correct data plate. Nice truck, rocker panels on cab are rusted out though.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
frankentruck said:
The main data plate says M35a2 w/w, so I am guessing the dropside was added later, though the winch seems to be original. I can also work out the words US Navy and a serial number on the tailgate, so maybe that is the origin of the dropside.

I could not locate a VIN on the frame. Where would that be located? The data plate says the ID number is 04N09871053914013. I could not find a date of manufacture, either, but I suppose that data is coded in the VIN. The paperwork says 1989.

Steven
Your truck is definately a 1971 model. The very first dropsides were done by/for the Marines in Vietnam. The Army borrowed some, and liked them too. I have not found when they went into production - but the dropsides did not get their unique VIN identifier until 1972 - after your truck was made.

By the way, the data plate shown above is a generic reproduction. Factory installed plates have the manufacturers name in the screening, not left blank to be filled in later.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

frankentruck

David:

Thank you much for the information. That is good to know and it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

Can you tell from the VIN if it is an original dropside model? Or could the dropside have been added later? It sounds like it might have been a USMC vehicle originally, though the serial number on the gate says US Navy.

The fellow I got it from provided a California Verification of Vehicle document filled out by the police stating it is a 1989 model, but it seems the officer got the date wrong. At least I can register it as an historic vehicle now, but I think I want to make more use of it than simply driving it in parades.

I appreciate your efforts to help me understand better some of the history of the truck.

Take care and thanks again.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Steven -
Prior to 1972 the VIN will not specify whether it was dropside or not - your truck is a 1971, so no such luck. However, the lengthy number on your dashboard does tell us it was originally procured by the Army.

AMG-
That's not the data plate that was installed at the factory.

HTH,
David

AMGeneral

Didn't think it was the factory plate,my truck underwent a "limited depot rebuild" at Toole in 88.I figure it was replaced at that time.As a matter of fact,my 35A2C is a strange mix of various year parts and upgrades(or lack thereof)and I do believe it left the factory as a Gasser,not a multi.I also call to attention the small plate just to the right of the dimension plate,never seen a Deuce with this plate.It has USA screen printed on it with the letters NKOCAN stamped directly under it.Reg # maybe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks