• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 air dryer filter

tomcata3

Does anyone no where to buy a replacement filter for air dryer under the cargo bed? I can't find one, I have 1 thats say MidLand- Grau
and on my other a3 the filter say Haldex 201160c

Silverback

Tomcata3, I did a google search on both filter elements and got several pages of results, filter world as well as several others. Try Napa or other truck parts places. I picked mine up at the local IH dealer. HTH, Dan.

AceHigh

I changed mine a few months ago and here is what I posted earlier:

The air is venting from the air dryer. I just serviced mine and it was a little over $100 for the dryer and filter combo kit. Erik's has the kit for about $150 but it can also be had from any big truck store.

Air Dryer Filter & Small Parts Set For M35A3, Pure Air Plus, DQ6036 (RN60Y/DQ6026)

When I first got it I was under with the engine running and that thing vented, scared the, well it scared me. :sad:
Mine was very stuck. I had to remove the mounting first.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
many of these pressure-swing type driers will go for years without service. the one on my truck is over 10 years old and i have NEVER drained any water from the air tanks since there is none there. they do a great job. don't waste your money until you start to find water in the tanks or until it starts to fail in some other way.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you change it when you hear it popping off more often than usual.
where does this info come from? if we are talking about a pressure-swing drier, and i think we are, it cycles once each time the compressor shuts off. if it cycles more than usual that would indicate a leak in the system.

tom

Rustygears

It is supposed to replaced yearly (if you use it in daily service). The mil units get pretty scummy because of infrequent use. The unit is a Haldex "Pure Air Plus" used in many commercial air brake systems. The complete dryer PM package is kit DQ6026 and is available at discount from Ryder for about $125. This includes both filter and dessicant cartridge which is also supposed to be replaced. You'll find that your 'wet tank' will be much cleaner after replacing dessicant & filter.

Cheers!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
of course the manufacturer wants you to replace it! but the question is how often is really required? the unit on my truck was 20 years old when i git it and is not meant to be serviced. it was clean inside and i have not drained either of my tanks in 4 years. there is just nothing in them. now my unit is japanese made and does not take any replaceable parts, but is still the same principle of operation.

tom

mktopside

Banned
FWIW. I heard a large air leak while parking the truck the other day. Long story short, there was a rust pinhole on the bottom of he inboard tank. I drilled it out till I saw shiney metal on all sides, then injected a tube of fast set epoxy with the mixing tube. I waited for the epoxy to come dripping back out the hole, then inserted a large head stainless pop rivet, and popped it in place.

No more airleaks, but it did make me wonder about how well my air dryer is functioning. This must have been something that started long before I got the truck, because there was minimal water in the tanks when I picked it up. Come payday, I'm going to order the kit from ericks.

Nonotagain

FWIW. I heard a large air leak while parking the truck the other day. Long story short, there was a rust pinhole on the bottom of he inboard tank. I drilled it out till I saw shiney metal on all sides, then injected a tube of fast set epoxy with the mixing tube. I waited for the epoxy to come dripping back out the hole, then inserted a large head stainless pop rivet, and popped it in place.
Don't take a chance on an epoxy repaired tank. You may have fixed the spot where it broke thru, but there are other locations just as bad.

Air tanks are cheap, having brakes when you need them is priceless.

Trailer Parts Superstore - Air Brake Tanks

My old shop air compressor was built in 1949. One day it started hissing. Checked the tank and sure enough, right where it was welded together, it rotted a hole.

I went out and purchased a new compressor the same week as I didn't want to be anywhere close to the tank when 175 psi cut loose.

cxcman

Don't take a chance on an epoxy repaired tank. You may have fixed the spot where it broke thru, but there are other locations just as bad.

Air tanks are cheap, having brakes when you need them is priceless.

Trailer Parts Superstore - Air Brake Tanks

My old shop air compressor was built in 1949. One day it started hissing. Checked the tank and sure enough, right where it was welded together, it rotted a hole.

I went out and purchased a new compressor the same week as I didn't want to be anywhere close to the tank when 175 psi cut loose.

safety never sleeps

mktopside

Banned
You're right, I should just replace them. It's not worth the risk.

Is there a tank that matches the stock ones as far as fitting locations and what not? Basically, anything I should know before ordering?

Nonotagain

You're right, I should just replace them. It's not worth the risk.

Is there a tank that matches the stock ones as far as fitting locations and what not? Basically, anything I should know before ordering?
Just look at the link that I provided. These tanks aren't anything special.

BTW, the most expensive tank sold by Easternmarine is only $84 or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks