• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 and Dexron III

Prankster

I just learned this:
Micron Dexron III, II, I is not a synthetic oil.
Only the ATF brands are synthetic.

You might not like this, but I have been using Lucas Stabilizer in all my transmissions for years.
I go about 50/50 with an SAE-30 for automatics, and manual transmissions. It works!!!

I filled my 1998 Ford Taurus SHO with it, and it runs Great!
Even the Air-Conditioner works cooler.
The Taurus requires Dexron-6

The Lucas really keeps the transmission cool, and quiet.
You can always use the Synthetic Lucas, and synthetic 30 weight oil if you are worried that the petroleum is too thick.

Has anybody noticed that the new ATF smells like Cat Piss?

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the difference between the AT 545 & the 1545?
The 545 is not a lock-up transmission and the 1545 is a lock-up transmission. Should be more economical to run, but I have no idea about the difference in reliability between the two. Mine is a 1545P.

I attached another Allison document regarding Dexron III and TranSynd dated April 2002.

Attachments

ODdave

The difference is the lockup toqure converter, this converter is $2,500.00 new, i know first hand.
I hear you have been "getting some quotes". Have you made it home ok?

Personaly if i where in your shoes, I would toss the auto and slam some sort of OD or 2xOD manual trans in there. That is one way I would definatly give some respect to an A3. Thing would be sweet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did I read this correctly? In post # 22, Allison and GM say Dextron III is good in the A3 transmission(contrary to the thread title)?

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear you have been "getting some quotes". Have you made it home ok?

Personaly if i where in your shoes, I would toss the auto and slam some sort of OD or 2xOD manual trans in there. That is one way I would definatly give some respect to an A3. Thing would be sweet.
Yea i made it back in 22 hours, got in about 1:00 pm saturday. Total rebuilt 1545 and torque converter with labor ( removal and installation ) $3,600.00 yea it hurts but i would rather spend it on this than a tow bill - a waste of money.

quickfarms

I went through this issue last year with my MT-643

Allison recomends transynd in the over the road trucks that are driven commercially. These trucks can be driven more in one week than our trucks are driven in an entire year.

The main advantage of the transynd is the increased service interval.

Our application is very different, our trucks are driven low milage and often empty.

The final recomendation was to use dextron III, change the external filter every year and test the fluid and change as needed

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the title.

ApopkaFL

Banned
What is the difference between the AT 545 & the 1545?
The 545 is not a lock-up transmission and the 1545 is a lock-up transmission. Should be more economical to run, but I have no idea about the difference in reliability between the two. Mine is a 1545P.

I attached another Allison document regarding Dexron III and TranSynd dated April 2002.

That was 9 years ago...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the date on the info you posted in post # 1?

Prankster

Criss/Cross - Q & A ???

How bad is it to continue to run the 15W40 in the transmission??

I really don't have all the answers.

Here is what I do know something about.
Automatic transmissions are able to use SAE-30, and they work much better.
I have been doing it since the 80s.
It tends to run much cooler, and has no clutch slip at all.
The SAE-30 never burns, and blacken like the Dexron.
It also quiets down a transmission, and the shifting goes real smooth.
The thicker oil adds a great cushion between plates.
I never had a problem with seals.

When I switch over to SAE-30 I like to clean the system with Dot-3 Brake fluid.
I know it is radical to the extreme however, it cleans all the seals, it will stop any leaks, and it washes away most of the crud trapped in the filter.

Just drain the Dot-3 before adding the SAE-30.

Now I am learning that Manual transmissions are now using automatic transmission fluid.
It seems to provide a a great way to get worn synchronizes to work better.

The Lucas stabilizer works well in both.

My advice is to go to the website that I have listed: find the phone number, and call them. They have much more knowledge about this than I do.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks