• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Brake Assistance

Jdrews

I'm a new deuce owner and need some help with a brake problem. I've searched the forum and it's left my head spinning. I've read about push rod adjustment, air pack rebuilds, and master cylinder rebuilds, but I still don't know how to diagnose my problem. What's happening, is my brake pedal sticks in the down position and does not release. I can't pull it up with my foot, but I can grab it, and with great force pull it back up. When I do this, I hear a whooshing sound coming from somewhere around the booster. Any ideas on what's causing this? Thanks in advance.

R Racing

The Swosh noise is normal that's your air pac. Read the TMs !! It will tell you how to trouble shoot step by step. Did you look to see if your return spring was broken? how about the master cylinder vents? I can't stress enough for you to read the manuals. should be the -24

Jdrews

Thanks guys. I haven't been able to look at it really well. It was getting dark when I pulled in tonight. I'm going to look at it closer tomorrow morning, just didn't know where to start. I'll read the manuals and go from there.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would think the spring too, but he says he can't pull it up with his foot. Might be corrosion in the master cyl bore. Is there any brakes? Peddle go to the floor?

Jdrews

This is a truck that was in someone's possession. It was being used as a water truck in prescribed burning applications. The breaks work great. Pedal goes down about 2", but then won't release. I am not building very good air pressure right now. The air dryer is in continuous purge. Pressure will build up to about 60 to 80. Could that be the cause? I know that's causing the CTIS not to work. Going to try to fix that tomorrow.

gimpyrobb

No, that wouldn't cause it. I'd look for the spring first.

Then, while under the truck, pull down on the peddle and watch the movements of the connected components. Maybe something got bent during operation and is binding.

Jdrews

I read about the push rod adjustment, but it doesn't seem to me that that would be the cause. I'm thinking like you that something is binding. It was all working fine last week. I had a u joint go out between the tranny and transfer case. Put it together today, and now brakes are sticking. I'll check the spring and all the linkages and hopefully find something.

gimpyrobb

No, what I said to check really won't have much to do with the push rod. There are a few other components connected to the master cyl before that.

Maybe you left a tool in there after the U-joint fix? I fail to see how thats related.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce suffered a CLUTCH LINKAGE problem shortly after we bought it that you might do well to read about.

I realize that you have a Brake problem, but once you read this Thread: MAYDAY! CLUTCH PEDAL FLOPPING - NO DISENGAGE http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?55122-MAYDAY!-Clutch-Pedal-Flopping-No-Disengage you may have another idea on what might be a possible culprit for your STICKING PEDAL.

If you'd like to "fast forward" start at Post #20 in the linked Thread above and you'll see the mechanics of the problem.

Keep up posted on your investigation and repair(s).

Carry on.

Hoefler

My A3 developed a sticking brake pedal. I can use my foot to pull it back. Just started to do this before parking her for the season. Have a hunch that the cause is corrosion.
Pete

Jdrews

So I got the brake issue resolved. When the u joint went out, one of the caps broke and part of it flew up on top of the brake linkage. The first time I mashed the brake, it must have rolled down and put the linkage in a bind to where it couldn't come back up. Easy fix. Thanks for all the help. Now, to figure out why my air drier constantly purges air.

gimpyrobb

The air driers need a rebuild kit about every 2 years. One year is recommended by the manufacturer, but I'm sure most don't drive their trucks enough to need it yearly.

Jdrews

Yep you are right. I bypassed the dryer and all my air pressure problems were solved. Is it worth the $48 for the rebuild kit? I found a brand new dryer on ebay for $120.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks