• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 down near Boise- need serpentine belt part number/key for alternator

BadMastard

Sound familiar? Yes, it's me again, and I lost my serpentine belt. Trying to find equivalent auto parts belt if possible. Internet sketchy, please call me if you have an answer at 801 721 4791. Also lost nut on alternator, and key. If you can provide size and threading, that would be awesome!.

wsucougarx

Found this on Eriks, TNJ Murray also has them (overnite shipping?):
Belt For M35A3 Fan/Alternator, 12448759 / RCSK17002-2

Belt for M35A3 (CAT 3116 engine) used to drive the fan and alternator. p/n 12448759. NSN 3030014601030. OEM part, made in USA. Also replaces RCSK17002-2, 7PK1639.

Last edited:

mightymanx

He is about 10 miles from Idaho motorpool they have about 15 A3's and parts for them.

Phone

208-452-5335

BadMastard

Success! The belt is a 65 inch 7 rib serpentine belt. Couldn't find one at any of the local parts store, but they did have a water pump belt.

Ok, the short story. After having the serpentine and the water pump belt break, the engine vented a little Coolant. We had a place to pull off the highway, but just barely for our convoy of two drivers and 7 vehicles. Opening the hood revealed an alternator missing the nut on it, AND a moving shaft. Crap.

That shredded the serpentine which while it was going out, took out the water pump belt. Alex!! A call to Idaho Motor pool got us a replacement alternator, replacement serpentine belt and a great big smile at our "luck". Great, an hour both ways and we have the parts to fix the deuce. It's 10 pm. I call the local cat dealer to see if they are open saturday. I get an after hours parts message. No way. Yep, they are open to 11pm. They have a serpentine belt. Someone special ordered one two years ago, and never picked it up. SOLD! I get back to the convoy at 10:45. My beautiful is resting peacefully in the Motor Home. 30 seconds later she's in green coveralls turning wrenches. (Wenches and Wrenches!)

We start the operation. Getting the new waterpump belt on takes a bit over two hours. Mostly because our wrench is just a little too long. Ok. It's done. Now for the alternator.

Alternator from Alex is slightly different, but looks about right wiring and size. Pull the old one off, and the bracket comes off in two pieces. Not good. It's 2 am and we have a broken alternator mount. Not going to find one. So we pull the small AC welder out of the back of the Deuce. Yes, I carry a welder. I plug it into the RV and get 110 power. 1/2 hour later, we have a one piece bracket. Alternator goes on. It's 3 am. Belt takes 20 seconds to install. Check all gear, tools and truck, and fire it up. It's Alive!

drive to local walmart, collapse in puddle.

Yes, that's the short story. I left out the visit by the police, the high speed run to alex, and the cow.

Thanks to Gimpy Robb for once again being my voice of reason and looking for parts for me late at night. Dude! you're amazing, and an insomniac. You should change one of those.

Thanks to Alex, again. I told him we have to stop meeting like this. And to all the replies, thank you! good advice as usual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks