• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3: Driving the Green Wobbly School Bus?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let someone drive my M35A3 today. They really liked the truck, but made a comment I didn't much like. The guy had apparently driven a school bus back in his past. He said that driving the A3 was like "driving a green wobbly school bus". He said the sound from the CAT engine coupled with the Allison transmission shifts were just like driving a school bus except that it was green and the steering wheel wobbled due to the tires. I wouldn't know because I have never driven a school bus. I have to admit though that having ridden on school busses it did have a ring of familiarity. I think I'll be a little more selective as to who I let drive my A3 from now on. I'm just glad my wife didn't hear the comment because she would have tortured me with those words from now on.

motomacguyver

Yup, a short bus. But a Bad A$$, high/low range, military, 6 wheel drive, short bus. I even drool a little, and wear ear muffs, (but no helmet) when I drive mine.

Have you done the wheel lug nut swap/add on? I did and it helped ALOT, however when the tires all sync-up it still hops some. I bet having the wheel assemblies balanced would fix this.

Thank god He didn't say "its ugly"

AceHigh

Short bus, LOL! I used to drive a school bus and have to admit, he was spot on. Still it is a great truck, and the history of our deuces has to be considered. It is all good. :beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, he liked the truck a lot. He wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I've found the best thing to minimize the wobble is to run about 55 PSI in the tires. It's amazing how it smooths the truck out. The other thing is that when I drive it, I kind of let the steering wheel do it's thing. I don't try to fight the wobble.

bratpackdad

I have posted the same opinion before about the A3. I like it, but it does remind me of a bus. I would still buy one....in fact I'm looking for one now.

mktopside

Banned
Actually, he liked the truck a lot. He wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I've found the best thing to minimize the wobble is to run about 55 PSI in the tires. It's amazing how it smooths the truck out. The other thing is that when I drive it, I kind of let the steering wheel do it's thing. I don't try to fight the wobble.
LOL I learned the hard way not to be a hero when it comes to the steering wheel. It's won every time.

55psi is a much nicer ride.

lonegunman

I've actually driven a school bus, it is similar,,haha. It is large and Allison trannys shift about the same on everything. No deuce is going to burn rubber, but when you pull off the pavement, the green bus will win.

davidkroberts

well..... to be fair he was spot on. I wouldnt get upset about it I dont think he was comparing the two just pointing out the similarities between the two drive trains.

x2 on the M35A2 comment...... It isnt a school bus, performance is somewhere between a logging truck and a skid loader. but never a school bus :-o

Happyland1410

Yup, a short bus. But a Bad A$$, high/low range, military, 6 wheel drive, short bus. I even drool a little, and wear ear muffs, (but no helmet) when I drive mine.

Have you done the wheel lug nut swap/add on? I did and it helped ALOT, however when the tires all sync-up it still hops some. I bet having the wheel assemblies balanced would fix this.

Thank god He didn't say "its ugly"
What is the "wheel lug nut swap/add on" you referenced? I tried searching but have not come up with anything yet. Thanks!

motomacguyver

What is the "wheel lug nut swap/add on" you referenced? I tried searching but have not come up with anything yet. Thanks!
You take the large lug nuts that hold the CTIS covers on, and switch them to the other side of the wheel. Then you use 3/4-16 regular nuts to hold the CTIS shield on. Furthermore you can add some extra 3/4-16 nuts on the opposite side of the shield to help reduce the imbalance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks