• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 from GA to WA, I need ideas.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lonegunman...

Godspeed, Sir! (albeit at a modest MPH)
Enjoy the scenery and remember your fatigue indicators - don't push yourself or your truck harder than what either of you were built for.
Our prayers for a successful mission ride with you.
John
San Angelo, TX

wsucougarx

I suppose one thing I have learned from these nice long recovery operations...go buy a Thrift Store copy of BUNS OF STEEL and work out to it for a few months before the operations begin. 8)

lonegunman

Well I just pecked in a who story of my adventure, including the hurricane force winds that slowed me down and the driving rain. Then my connection logged out and I lost it. So I'm off to bed.

I'm pleased as punch so far. The truck runs great, at 48-50 it settles out smooth as glass on the ride road surface, then we chug along. The wind was amazing, it blew my strapped down, covered in canvas gear bags and case of oil three feet forward in the bed.

The heat worked great, electric wipers needed a squirt of PB Blaster to take care of a squeak and they worked well. The duece required water leak to the drivers feet was there on the A3 as well.

I am wishing for more padding as my butt is getting sore,,haha. The truck is running perfectly and doing the daily checks every morning is keeping it that way.

More tomorrow.

63sierra10

Hey I saw you around the SD and Wy state line and passed you there and again after the scale house in Sundance Wy. I was in the blue KW with the blue Pepsi trailer. A very nice rig indeed. It seemed to be running great.

basin wildland

I would drive it. Ive driven mine from WA.to Montana twice Wa. to southern Oregon twice Wa. to northern Cal. Ive only had two break downs in 25000 miles. one front wheel bearing and a fuel line poped off from the filter. Go for the adventure.

lonegunman

I'm home and man does my butt hate me. Yesterday,I passed a guy with an A3 or a 5-ton heading south by Crow Agency Montana and waved a hello. I was day dreaming and almost missed him.

The truck ran like a top, it has a cam cover oil leak that made a mess of the bottom of the truck. It only used 1.5 qts for 2500 miles so I'm going to let it go until it needs another service. I'm thinking this pretty much covers weither the Cat 3116 and Allison trans are up to the task. I had the trans serviced before leaving Ga. It did not leak or use an ounce of fluid the entire trip.

Thanks for the help and offers of help along the way. I was wondering what kind of problem I'd have if it croaked in some of the more remote places. But, she ran like a champ. Nothing to report performance wise except 7 more mph would have been wonderful.

I drove through wind and rainstorms in Iowa, HUGE wind in South Dakota and wind, snow, sleet and rain in western Montana and through the last two mountain passes it was miserable.

Winds today were up to 53mph. That was five more miles per than lonegunman was chugging along.:-( Headwinds cut milage by about 2mpg. I didn't do an average but the best parts managed 10.2mpg and the worst was the huge cross winds and headwinds in Iowa before I turned west. There I got 7.8mpg.

I have a very few pics, as it takes both hands to drive, especially on bumpy roads. But I'll post them up. along with more details as I get more time to peck.

wsucougarx

Outstanding I am glad you made it home safely. So you got plans on taking her out tomorrow? :) So you averaged 10 hours of driving per day for 5 days?

rwoods

Although I misread an earlier post and thought you were home already, I'm glad you made it and told us about the trip. BTW I average about 8 mpg around town with lots of idling during winch jobs. Ron

lonegunman

I spent the first three days home dreaming of driving my truck. I could feel my arms shaking as the wheel vibrated from the unbalanced wheels,,haha.

Things are better now. It has been cold, windy and/or rainy since I made it home and that makes fiddling with the truck less than fun. But today I got out and scrubbed some of the grime off the truck and adjusted the steering.

The truck had limited power from the power assist on the steering. I got a few questions answered and got things adjusted to about normal now. It was not that bad to drive but not as it should be .

Hopefully, the SF97 will arrive and the process of getting tags and a title will go smoothly.

Heavysteven

Truely amazing story, thanks for sharing your story. I hope you enjoy your A3.

The M35A3 is my favorite MV right now. Saw one with a winch while buying parts it's quite a machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks