• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Idle adjustment

Rustygears

The idle speed is supposed to drop a little when you shift from neutral to drive or reverse. On my A3, neither the unloaded idle in neutral or the idle in drive or reverse is ever rough. It has always purred like a typical cat 4-cycle diesel.

mktopside

Banned
Uh, what ECM? There is none. There is a mechanical high pressure fuel pump, that's all. The injector timing and metering on the CAT 3116 engine for the A3 is all mechanical and under the valve cover. There is no traditional Bosch or roosamaster metered pump like on the A2 or CUCV and definitely no ECM on the A3. The only thing in an A3 with a chip is the CTIS control head used to fill the tires (when it works) with air. That's it. This makes the engine EMP-proof. Same goes for the auto- tranny control. It's all mechanical too.
Technically all it has is a low pressure lift pump. The injection pressure is not created in the "pump" like on a Cummins or a GM 6.2. Fuel is supplied to the injectors at low pressure, and it is boosted inside the injector to where it needs to be.

There is an idle adjustment in the TM. I followed it to adjust mine. Very simple. I believe the TM says RPM should be between 750-850 at idle. Simply loosen a lock nut, adjust the screw, and ret-tighten the lock nut. It took about 5 minutes. The adjustment is on the front, drivers side of the engine very close to the top....don't remember what its called....but it is in the TM and self-explanatory.

Hoefler

Its in th TM9-2320-386-24-1-2 -page number 0298 00-4. Mine idles at 500 RPM-have had two others also idled at 500 or so. Looks like its time to make an adjustment.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks