• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 master cylinder leaking at shft under boot

Jeep Nasty

After searching several threads I don't think this particular problem has been covered. The brakes work fine I just have to keep an eye on the fluid levels. I have a slight leak after use, coming from the under the boot from the main shaft that attaches to the brake pedal under the body. I found a thread from g503 that talks about some .97 cent O-rings that you can replace as a rebuild for these pricey master cylinders on the A3's. I wondering if anyone who is more familiar with master cylinders could advise on whether this fix may address my problem. They also talk about honing the cylinder and I' not sure what that entails.
if this wont work, does anyone have a line on an affordable master cylinder for this thing?

g503 thread is here. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=177512#p1115594

welldigger

I am not particularly familiar with the a3 master cylinder but if its leaking then it needs to be addressed. I would disassemble the MC and if it does indeed have o rings inside then I would give honing and replacing the o rings a try. Again if it is already leaking then it needs to be replaced or rebuilt anyways. So if you screw this one up trying to rebuild it your not out anything anyways. Honing is easy. Find the correct sized cylinder hone to fit inside the bore of the MC. Then chuck it into a drill. Oil the inside of the MC and insert the hone into the MC and start honing. The idea is to simply smooth the inside of the bore. While honing do not stay in one place too long. Keep the hone moving back and forth the full length of the bore in a smooth steady motion. Stop and check your progress frequently. Again you just want to smooth up the inside. It shouldn't take much. When you are satisfied clean clean clean the MC inside and out with brake cleaner.

Jeep Nasty

I am not particularly familiar with the a3 master cylinder but if its leaking then it needs to be addressed. I would disassemble the MC and if it does indeed have o rings inside then I would give honing and replacing the o rings a try. Again if it is already leaking then it needs to be replaced or rebuilt anyways. So if you screw this one up trying to rebuild it your not out anything anyways. Honing is easy. Find the correct sized cylinder hone to fit inside the bore of the MC. Then chuck it into a drill. Oil the inside of the MC and insert the hone into the MC and start honing. The idea is to simply smooth the inside of the bore. While honing do not stay in one place too long. Keep the hone moving back and forth the full length of the bore in a smooth steady motion. Stop and check your progress frequently. Again you just want to smooth up the inside. It shouldn't take much. When you are satisfied clean clean clean the MC inside and out with brake cleaner.
My thoughts exactly , that if it is leaking, it has to be address no matter what. I can't have the brakes "disappear" all of the sudden on this thing. I appreciate the honing advise, I wasn't sure if I had to take it to a machine shop. I hope the o- ring trick works because the the vendors I checked are charging $500-$1200 for a NOS of these A3 "super special, ultra rare, billet platinum" master cylinders.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked up the NSN in the parts TM? Once you have that, you can google it and if there is a partstarget link, look at that and you will see the OEM name and part number. That may help you find the part outside of military surplus dealers.

Jeep Nasty

Have you looked up the NSN in the parts TM? Once you have that, you can google it and if there is a partstarget link, look at that and you will see the OEM name and part number. That may help you find the part outside of military surplus dealers.
I did without any luck. It's made by bendix. It looks like some guys on here tried to track them down a couple years ago and kept hitting dead ends as well. I wish I could get a napa part number but I think I'm out of luck.

Jeep Nasty

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, ok.

toomanytoys

I know the thread is a few months old but I wanted to know if you still have any of the master cylinders for the A3's mine has bit the dust. I took mine out because I didn't trust so it had to come out any how.

Let me know, i am interested