• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 No Winch / Install?

v8turbo

i did some searching... Not finding much about installing the factory PTO winch on the M35A3. I keep loosing out on the M35A3 auctions with winch.

think ill go non winch and then install?? anyone know about this or have info? I called a few spots and no one had experience with the A3 winch after the fact. Going with a Warn or Ramsey was all I could find.

Nonotagain

If I'm not mistaken the A3s used a hydraulic winch. I honestly can't remember though, that may be the M939 series 5-tons.
The M35a3 does use a hydraulic winch.

Power comes from a hydraulic pump mounted to the side of the automatic transmission. The lines run along side the frame rails to the bumper extension mounted winch.

You aren't going to like the price of the associated parts. Last M35a3 used winch I saw was over $1500 for just the winch. The pump was $700 and the lines were another $300. It sold in minutes.

You can purchase a Warn 15K winch for around $1500.
Hydraulic Recovery Winches

mudguppy

it won't be hard to find a PTO that fits the AT1545 to mount a hyd pump - real easy, on the contrary. then just size the pump and motor appropriately (i can help if you'd like) and you're done. the only difficult thing will be fabbing a mount for the hyd motor onto a standard PTO winch; i have some ideas but have not gotten further on this project yet.

it'd be easier to do this to an -A2 winch than try to out-bid on an -A3 winch. mounting a reservoir tank, spool valve, and lines/fittings are all going to be straight-forward. this is the route i would take (and will take for my winch conversion).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You WILL NOT find a winch kit for the install. Save your pennies and ante up. In the years that the A3s have been coming out, I have never seen a parts truck with a winch. Heck, you rarely find A3 parts trucks period. That is one of the drawbacks of owning an A3...parts that are A3-specific are hard to come by. Good luck.

v8turbo

Thanks Guys.

Im bidding on 8 different trucks right now from all over the country. Im sure(just like eBay) the last 30 minutes is when the auction really starts.

untill I win an auction.... ill be stuck with only this to play with.....

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rwoods

"think ill go non winch and then install?? anyone know about this or have info?"

Don't give up. I try to watch and bid on most every A3 that comes up on GL so at least I can keep up with the pricing and possibly get another one cheap. IMO it is unrealistic to believe you can convert to the factory A3 set up with the savings between the purchase of a winch truck and a non winch truck. Difference between the cheapest w/w and wo/w at the recent FT Campbell sale was $700 before premium and sales tax. There is a ton of stuff beyond just the winch and compressor mounted pump that goes into the factory system. Anyone who has all the parts will probably want big $ for them. Save up your nickels and go for the w/w - you'll save a lot of money in the end. And if you are like me you will use the truck for the winch as much as you use the truck for the truck. Ron

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the A3 winch the same winch as an A2 with a hyd motor added? Shouldn't be too hard to find a hyd motor and fab up a mounting bracket and coupling.

I still think you'd be money ahead to buy a truck with a winch already on it. There are other options though if you're not a purist.

Sephirothq

From the other thread it looks like the PTO mounts to the engine to run the winch? Is that correct? Does anyone know of a commerical appilication in which the pump would be on there.

windmillman

What about a PTO that would be used for a pump hoist, that aready has the resivor and valves,ect? Can you mount one on the transmission that you could just usein conjunction with a hyd pumpon the PTO that you just pull a cable to engage the pump? Like the one on my F450 that i use to engage the hyd system that runs my pump hoist? Got to be a simple way to get a PTO and pump installed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks