• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed 2 on deuces, never on a cat. I just am waiting for pictures of one installed or a thread on installing it on a cat. Thank's..!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed 2 on deuces, never on a cat. I just am waiting for pictures of one installed or a thread on installing it on a cat. Thank's..!
I have ether on mine that works great. If you don't want to use the ether, why not visit your local CAT dealer and ask for their recommendation? The 3116 engine is very common.

Jbrowning22

I found that without that cold start system, that motor does not want to start when cold. At 26*F, it took about ten cycles with the starter to get it running. After the cold start valve was replaced, one shot, first cycle and it started.

A Hotstart unit is highly recommended for those who don't like to use ether.......hint, hint, Don.
LOL, yup.

It's like there's no inbetween either. It'll start in less than one revolution down to about 32F. Under that it has to crank over for a good bit if it hasn't run for a few days.

Gr8wheels

Fairly new M35A3 owner

Howdy, thanks for the thread and all the information. I purchased an A3 a couple of months ago and am working through the typical issues these great trucks have from sitting. The truck had 9,000 miles when I got it but it had 7 new tires on it. It now has 11,000 miles without major issue.
I'm thinking about using the truck to go on a 2,200 mile trip to Florida to pick up a trailer. I've done all the regular service stuff and I'm currently working throught the tires/rims to get better pressure stability.
What would be the the best approach for easing the drivetrain? I've read about pulling one rear axle to free up the tandem and putting freewheeling hubs on the front, is this a good idea?
Currently I'm chasing down the air dryer problem as it was by-passed by the previous owner(s) as well as one of the CITS rear wheel feeds but at this point, I'm close to just unpluging the CITS system and removing the wheel valves and counterweights.
I also would like to find a rear cover,seats and bows in Camo if anybody has that for sale.
Thanks

Jbrowning22

MD to FL, and back......Ugghh.... I can barely do that in my 2011 F-150, I'd lose my mind if I had to drive that far in my A3.

I'm going to say "No" you shouldn't do it. Here's why:

#1: It only goes 50mph. While the SS'rs in the mid west can get along just fine, those guys don't have to deal with the traffic we have here on the east coast. I'll take my A3 on the interstate for short stretches, but 1000+ miles on I-95 is dangerous at that speed, and inconsiderate of everyone else using the road for legitimate purposes. Especially where 95 narrows to 4 lanes, 2 in each direction, you will have a semi-truck backup 20 miles long behind you.

#2: 2000 mile round trip in an A3 is physically demanding. Even with hearing protection it's still going to be close to 24 hours riding the jack hammer.

#3: What if you break down? Yes, you can be as prepared as you can be and cover all of your bases, but if you have a major failure far far from home......well, look up Steve6x6x6's post about his A3 recovery when his tranny took a dump.

I just wouldn't do it man. I have thousands and thousands of miles behind the wheel on my A3, and I still don't like venturing further from home than I can afford a tow bill back.

If there was any other means to pick up the trailer, I would use them instead. Heck I would actually wait to find a trailer closer by. If you took the A3, at 2,200 miles the diesel would cost you about $900 and it would take you no less than roughly 44 hours (far more than that if you factor in I-95 traffic and stops). What kind of trailer is it? If it is a M105 then you would be paying twice as much in fuel as the trailer is even worth. 2cents

Gr8wheels

Thanks all for the opinions, I hadn't considered the trouble I would cause other drivers on 95. Although it seems as though I encounter a few slow poke RV guys or trailer-pullers every time I make that trip. After spending forty- some years above the speed limit, I like the 53 mph the A3 yields but the risks involved do trump the adventure aspect. My concern was tires, I noticed that the tires on the truck have worn about 12% or more in 2,000 miles. I have kept pressure at 60 lbs and those miles were around town-- perhaps straight line might provide better but the heat build up would probably cause even faster wear.
Anybody know what kind of mileage to expect from the Michelins?

The trip is required to retrieve my just restored OH23 Hiller helicopter done up in official Army livery as they were trainers for future HUEY piliots and some Hillers saw action in the very early stages in Vietnam. Earlier models of Hillers were used in Korea for MASH units. The custom built trailer was fabricated with thicker steel plate than I specified so the trailer with the aircraft on it is heavier,(about 5,000 lbs. and 30 feet long) than my Honda Ridgeline feels comfortable pulling.
I guess I'l look into renting a 3/4 ton pick-up for the long haul but the A3 will pull the bird to local exhibits and gatherings where I can't fly-in. That was a major reason to purchase the A3, the A2 would have been more period correct but the new drivetrain, power steering, comfort seat, etc. had me sold. I do think the A3 would have been dependable as I've "gone-over" most reasonable concern areas but I'll save the tires by not using it as well as time on the highway holding up fellow travelers. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I'll get them up here as soon as the truck and trailer with the helicopter on it get mated up.

Now you have "the rest of the story"

Hoefler

I have 3 of them I got off Dell last year in Ga. I can take a hint, I just dont like ether. Now for the major question, On a CAT 3116, whats the general installation information. Wouldn't want to install it wrong. I know it has to be installed LOW near the frame.

Hoefler, Could you take pictures of yours when you install it and where you tapped in..?

Thanks gentelmen...!
I have looked at the directions on the hotstart. Looks like its made for the CAT. Needs to be located lower than pick up from water pump heater hose. I plan on mounting the unit to lower fenderwell and simply plumbing it in between the heater hose that heads to the cab heater. I will be picking up a few pipe fittings this weekend and install. Will post pictures.
Pete

BadMastard

Gr8wheels

I read your post. Great idea of using the deuce to haul around an old chopper!

Here's my late 2 cents. I have 395's on my a3. They are nothing short of awesome. I can cruise all day at 55. I occasionally sneak up to about 58. It's an easy fix for your blues.

Now, about that driving 2000 miles in a deuce. Yes, it's a long drive. Yes, the seats are not well engineered for it. Yes, you could have a breakdown. I'd still do it.

I didn't buy my deuce so it could sit around looking ugly. It drives all the time, and several of us here believe the more you drive it, the less it breaks down. Risky? I bought great insurance that includes unlimited towing. I carry a tool kit and most of a brain with me. I have called upon Steel Soldiers more than once and never been disappointed.

The thing I'm saying is I love my deuce, and I love driving it. If you want to haul your chopper around with a deuce, you're not doing it because you hate it....

The single most important thing you can do to live a longer happier life is to be happy. I'm voting against the crowd. Go be happy.

Jerry

Thanks all for the opinions, I hadn't considered the trouble I would cause other drivers on 95. Although it seems as though I encounter a few slow poke RV guys or trailer-pullers every time I make that trip. After spending forty- some years above the speed limit, I like the 53 mph the A3 yields but the risks involved do trump the adventure aspect. My concern was tires, I noticed that the tires on the truck have worn about 12% or more in 2,000 miles. I have kept pressure at 60 lbs and those miles were around town-- perhaps straight line might provide better but the heat build up would probably cause even faster wear.
Anybody know what kind of mileage to expect from the Michelins?

The trip is required to retrieve my just restored OH23 Hiller helicopter done up in official Army livery as they were trainers for future HUEY piliots and some Hillers saw action in the very early stages in Vietnam. Earlier models of Hillers were used in Korea for MASH units. The custom built trailer was fabricated with thicker steel plate than I specified so the trailer with the aircraft on it is heavier,(about 5,000 lbs. and 30 feet long) than my Honda Ridgeline feels comfortable pulling.
I guess I'l look into renting a 3/4 ton pick-up for the long haul but the A3 will pull the bird to local exhibits and gatherings where I can't fly-in. That was a major reason to purchase the A3, the A2 would have been more period correct but the new drivetrain, power steering, comfort seat, etc. had me sold. I do think the A3 would have been dependable as I've "gone-over" most reasonable concern areas but I'll save the tires by not using it as well as time on the highway holding up fellow travelers. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I'll get them up here as soon as the truck and trailer with the helicopter on it get mated up.

A helicopter! Holy Cow Man! :shock: Fuel costs may not be an issue to you. Time probably is though. I'd trade in the Honda Ridgeline for a full size truck. That way you are set for any future long hauls and you can use the A3 for the stuff that isn't quite so far. [thumbzup]

Hoefler

I agree with Jerry. Though I have 395's on my A3, i run it at 50 MPH or 2500 RPM. I drive it and grease it all of the time. The more its driven the better it is for the truck. Before you venture out-I would buy a set of lock outs for the front. They will reduce noise, increase mileage (well a little) and make her easier to steer. Load the power steering up with a hit of mysterious oil and adjust regulator to full on magnum. Bring some tools, some engine oil and a few tools.
Hit the road jack.
Pete

DrillerSurplus

---

The trip is required to retrieve my just restored OH23 Hiller helicopter done up in official Army livery as they were trainers for future HUEY piliots and some Hillers saw action in the very early stages in Vietnam. Earlier models of Hillers were used in Korea for MASH units. ---. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I'll get them up here as soon as the truck and trailer with the helicopter on it get mated up.

That sounds like a great looking package going down the road. There is a thread going about swapping an Allison tranny with overdrive into the A3 -sounds promising if it isn't too expensive.
RE the Hiller- I worked on remote drilling jobs in Alaska in the 1970's. The first season we were slinging the equipment with Bell 47's. - Since they couldn't lift much we had to do some crazy stuff. Ie: working on top of a steep ridge, use manpower to help pick the load, then trot over and basically throw it over the edge where they could get enough air speed to carry it. Enough fuel would be burned off that they could land it fairly gently. Wonder why 4 of them lost their engine or other powertrain components in two months. The next few years we used a Hiller with the Soloy turbine conversion - it could lift more than double - made a huge difference & sure felt a lot safer.
I am new to the site & have found the FAQ very helpful - there is a good one about uploading photos. Look forward to seeing your set up.

Attachments

That sounds like a great looking package going down the road. There is a thread going about swapping an Allison tranny with overdrive into the A3 -sounds promising if it isn't too expensive.
I have been researching this site and that topic for sometime now and I have not come across a thread that actually describes putting an Allison with overdrive into an A3. From what I have seen, no one has actually located an Allison with overdrive that would fit into an A3. If you are referring to this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ompatible-transmissions-m35a3-cat-3116-a.html then I think the discussion has come to whether or not to swap back to the Spicer transmission and install the OD gear kit, or to leave the Allison and install Ouverson 4.9 differential gears.

Anyhow, If you are talking about another thread, please direct me to it.

Welcome to the site! :beer:

the buddah

well i must say good luck on your trip if you get into a jam in fla i am 50 miles west of daytona now when i got my a3 i drove it from south of chi town to phlia and then down 95 to fla you wont be holding any one up and the rules of the road are as long as you do 45mph you are good you will be recieved very well every where you go stop at the truck stops and get fuel cards as you can get free showers with them if you want to mess with D.O.T. hit every weight station i do it when its like 2am or so to keep them guys awake lol enjoy the ride thats the best part

Jbrowning22

Nobody has ever put another tranny in an A3, with the exception of one guy who put an A2 tranny in. It's been explored to death, and every time it comes down to being a MUCH larger job than anyone wants to casually take on, and more $$ than its worth.

I still stand by my contention that an over driven T-case would be the easiest and cheapest way to go, but I as well do not have the time/money to rip one apart and have someone make different gears.

Gr8wheels

Reasonability has won the day, I'll be traveling alone so its best to keep the A3 back here in Md. and find a decent truck to retrieve the Hiller & trailer. If for some reason the A3 broke down I'd have a real task at hand securing the helicopter somewhere while I arranged alternate transportation. Thanks again for the input.

I still would like to know the opinions on the Michelins durability, I suspect they are only good for 12-20 thousand miles so @ 700 each thats about .25 cents/mile in tire expense or about 2/3 the cost of fuel @ current prices. Maybe thats an equally important avenue to pursue to the overdrive as the engine and drive train will outlast numerous sets of tires,( considering mechanical wear &tear) Perhaps Firestone or others make a more "over the road" durable tire as I don't have interest in taking the truck into the mud pit.

BTW I added the air tool oil, (about 1.3 oz. to the steering valve through the air input hose and it blew the gasket out of the back-end,(read threaded end). After disassembly and cleaning all the air tool oil out I made a new gasket reassembled the unit and all is fine. Most of the oil originally blew up the discharge hose but enough stayed in there to muck-up the works which just caused the pressurized air to bypass the ports to the slave cylinder and exhaust out of the bottom ports so I never built up enough pressure to kick the buzzer off. Don't know what I did wrong but consider this a heads-up for whatever reason. Perhaps just a few drops of oil would suffice.

scopionf89

Long drive in a duce

I read your post. Great idea of using the deuce to haul around an old chopper!

Now, about that driving 2000 miles in a deuce. Yes, it's a long drive. Yes, the seats are not well engineered for it. Yes, you could have a breakdown. I'd still do it.

Jerry
I can't say about a m35a3 but my M35a2 crosed cost to cost and the worst thing that happend was I blue a fule line going from my master pump to my fule injector. My total drive was some 4,000 miles. Had I not been realy close to my brother in laws house in IL and planing to stop when it happend. I would have just pulled off the bolt from the broken fule line used degresser to get all the fule off and then welded the thing closed using my oxicedling torch and bolted it back to the fule intector. I would have lost some power losing one cylidar but I would have still been able to go down the road. I was loaded at 25,000 pounds at the time the fule line broke my truck became just a tad slower to axclierate.

I Know that kind of a fix probly is not an opshion for your computerized m35a3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks