• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

Jbrowning22

The durability on the 14.5R20 Michelinsisn't exactly stellar. IIRC they were only required to last 10,000 miles. More than one memeber here has had a blowout on the highway, and I had one split in a mudhole in a way that made me really question how safe they are.

There are more horror stories about those tires than there are positive stories about them.

Why can't you fly the helicopter home?

I Know that kind of a fix probly is not an opshion for your computerized m35a3.
Anytime my A3 gives me trouble I just restart the main computer and it usually fixes the problem. The main thing you gotta do is keep your virus software up to date. You should check for software updates every time you change the motor oil.

rofl

Last edited:

DrillerSurplus

Nobody has ever put another tranny in an A3, with the exception of one guy who put an A2 tranny in. It's been explored to death, and every time it comes down to being a MUCH larger job than anyone wants to casually take on, and more $$ than its worth.

I still stand by my contention that an over driven T-case would be the easiest and cheapest way to go, but I as well do not have the time/money to rip one apart and have someone make different gears.
I remember parting out a truck that had an 4 speed auxiliary transmission that went behind the normal trans. If you had the freewheeling hubs up front, maybe you could install the aux trans in the rear driveline where there is some room. Just have to remember to make sure it was in 1:1 when if you lock the front hubs. Has that option been tossed around?

I remember parting out a truck that had an 4 speed auxiliary transmission that went behind the normal trans. If you had the freewheeling hubs up front, maybe you could install the aux trans in the rear driveline where there is some room. Just have to remember to make sure it was in 1:1 when if you lock the front hubs. Has that option been tossed around?
I believe what you are referring to is a gear splitter. It has been discussed but they are very rare and that makes it a more difficult option.

Attachments

miertha

I picked an A3 about 3 weeks ago, drove it up from Reno, no problems at all. I was wondering about the motor oil transmission thing you mentioned..Did your unit come with motor oil in the tranny?

Thanks- I'm in Maple valley a little SE of Seattle

Tim

lonegunman

Switch the trans to ATF as soon as possible,you can still buy the filter kit from Allison and the al filter is a Baldwin that is easy to find. It will run quite a bit cooler and a lot more trouble free when you are done.

I'm over on the east side of Washington.

BadMastard

@scopionf89- Dude, I welded the alternator bracket back together on side of freeway on my A3. That's truth. I used the computer to do it. That's lying....

Oil in the transmission----

Well, to be quite honest mine still has it in there. A good friend who has bought 6 or 7 a3's so far has had three of them lose 3rd gear after switching them to atf. It's probably not related, and it's just a strange coincidence right? Just in case though it's not just bad luck, I'm keeping mine oil unless some magical reason appears to change my mind. Like I have a spare transmission lying around. Maybe two. :)

btw, 3500 miles on my truck, transmission works like a charm. I live in a relatively cool place, so overheating really isn't a problem for me.

Hoefler

I have two A3's. Switched both out to ATF with no issues. One does however shift like my Honda-perfect and smooth. The other is good-just not quit as smooth.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone installed a Hot shot engine heater on the cat 3116, If so can you please post pictures of the install...?

Hoefler

I have one that I will be doing an install. Looks simple. I am planning on taking the small heater hose from water pump and splicing in the Hotshot where the hose lays on the inner fenderwell. Simple.
Even the diagram in the hotshot install manual looks just like the A3 install. Care must be taken to make sure the heater is lower than the bottom of block.
Pete

@scopionf89- Dude, I welded the alternator bracket back together on side of freeway on my A3. That's truth. I used the computer to do it. That's lying....
???

He didn't claim to use a computer to make the weld, did he?

He was stating that the same repair may not be possible on an A3 since they are computerized. I don't know if he was joking about that or not but either way it was funny.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think he was joking, From my experience you must disengage the battery's and place the ground as close to the weld repair to there is no current passing by any computer module. Also I would ground the truck frame to a secure spot. I weld everyday on mechanical with circuit boards in my work. I have blown a few boards so thats the approach I would take.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that I will be doing an install. Looks simple. I am planning on taking the small heater hose from water pump and splicing in the Hotshot where the hose lays on the inner fenderwell. Simple.
Even the diagram in the hotshot install manual looks just like the A3 install. Care must be taken to make sure the heater is lower than the bottom of block. Pete
Thanks Mr. Hoefler, When you do install yours can you please post a picture of the job complete...? Its nice to have a picture to refer to while doing this installation.

Thunder in NWOR

Six (6) M35A3's made the Alaska Highway Convoy this year (1 from Alabama, 2 from Iowa, 1 from Texas, 1 from sothern Cal, and mine from Oregon). ALL use motor oil --NO problems - can you say 60,000 miles of ardous conditions...?!?
A highly paid mucky muck related to Allison told me swapping oil for thans is much more problematic than continued and appropriate use of good motor oil.

I don't think he was joking, From my experience you must disengage the battery's and place the ground as close to the weld repair to there is no current passing by any computer module. Also I would ground the truck frame to a secure spot. I weld everyday on mechanical with circuit boards in my work. I have blown a few boards so thats the approach I would take.
I didn't think of that since I usually think of "computerized" as being computer controlled. My CTIS is disabled so I didn't think about those components. Other than the CTIS what is "computerized" (not just electrical, but truly computerized)?

Regardless, the guy never claimed the weld was done by a computer, which is what another poster implied that he had said.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Daaaaaaaaaaa I guess I should have read the entire thread then, dummy me..! Since you disabled your A3 did you leave all the wheel hardware on the rims..?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm....when my A3 computer acts up I just close all the windows, then open all the windows and it works fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks