• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Paint Color

McCrackin

Just picked up an M35A3 and it needs a paint job. Lots of suface rust.
I asked around and no one seems to know what the correct OD Green "Solid" color is . I'm not going to re-paint with the camo paint scheme. Color #24087 was mentioned as a possible color but it seems dark. I would have thought that the correct color would be the same as found on the interior dash board or the color of the frame.
Anyone know what the correct color of an MKT 85 is ? I'm painting everything !!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up an M35A3 and it needs a paint job. Lots of suface rust.
I asked around and no one seems to know what the correct OD Green "Solid" color is . I'm not going to re-paint with the camo paint scheme. Color #24087 was mentioned as a possible color but it seems dark. I would have thought that the correct color would be the same as found on the interior dash board or the color of the frame.
Anyone know what the correct color of an MKT 85 is ? I'm painting everything !!
The 24087 is not the correct color. This is semi-gloss OD. It should have been painted with green CARC. The Gillespie 383 should match if you don't want CARC.

Capt.Marion

Quick little lesson on paint.

CARC is an acronym that stands for the type of paint used on all modern military vehicles starting in the 80s. Anything tan or 3-color camo is painted with CARC. It stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating.

Gillespie is a paint manufacturer. "Gillespie 383" refers to their product which is the same color as the CARC paint used by the military. The two 383 colors (Green, and Brown) are what are used for the 3-color job (along with flat black) that your truck should have. 686 Tan is the tan color used for, well, tan-painted trucks. You can get Gillespie paints from Rapco Parts. That page lists their paint colors and the paint code for each color.

If you want a solid-color green/OD truck, you most likely want to paint it solid 383 Green. That is the base color for the 3-color camo.

24087 is the Gillespie Paint code for Semi-gloss Olive Drab used in VietNam. It would be incorrect for your truck.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FS (Federal Standard) code for the 383 green is 34094, that is the number you need if you are going to match it at a regular paint store.

To further clarify what Capt Marion said, 383 means the green/black/brown camo scheme, so when folks refer to 383 green, they mean Green FS 34094 as used in that scheme. Likewise, 686 refers to the tan camo, not the actual tan paint number. Most paint dealers (like Rapco) who deal with the MV crowd will know what you are talking about.

Might as well throw this in too-
On FS codes, he first number indicates the 'shininess' as in 14087 is gloss, 24087 is semi-gloss, and 34087 is flat, all the same shade of OD.
The second number, 4, indicates that it is a green.
The last three numbers, 087, indicate the exact shade of green.

Clear as mud?? :)

Cheers

ranchhopper

Use the CARC if you want it to look like it was painted factory new the gillespie has a bit of a gloss look to it I use CARC its just a matter of personal preference.

phil2968

24087 is the Gillespie Paint code for Semi-gloss Olive Drab used in VietNam. It would be incorrect for your truck.
So there were no M35s in Vietnam? My 109 is a 1966, I like to think it could have been over there. If it was wouldn't it have been painted with 24087?

I'm just asking why that color would be incorrect for any M35 built in the 60s'.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint color

Should it be emphasised that the CARC paint is hazardous to your health, both in the removal of and applicacation as well. Proper safety gear should worn at all times.

I had one paint shop refuse to prep and spray my M35 with CARC. When I checked into the aspects of the dangers of that paint, I settled for an alternative. I only hope I was justifed in my decision.

My2cents

flyxpl

I just picked up an M35A3 at Sparta and it has a different color of brown on it than Gillespie '383'. Sparta had a lot of A3 son the lot and all had the same color brown as mine, except one, which had the standard '383' brown. The brown on my A3 is much lighter and has a slight olive tint to it. The green is standard '383'. I've also seen some other A3 trucks on the road with the same color brown as mine. Does anyone have any idea why a different color brown was used for the 3-color camo, and what the paint number is? I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything.
My A3 has the brown you are talking about . I am sure is is rattle can and is not correct . I would repaint with 383 brown .

flyxpl

Should it be emphasised that the CARC paint is hazardous to your health, both in the removal of and applicacation as well. Proper safety gear should worn at all times.

I had one paint shop refuse to prep and spray my M35 with CARC. When I checked into the aspects of the dangers of that paint, I settled for an alternative. I only hope I was justifed in my decision.

My2cents
what about the new waterborne carc ? I heard it sprays much better than the old stuff . It should not be hazardous

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks