• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Parking Brake Stuck/Frozen - Will not lift to engage

MC5601

Hi all, I am in the process of restoring a M35A3 that has been sitting for years and after getting the engine and brake system running, the parking brake is stuck and will not engage. It's currently in the low (disengaged) position and no matter how hard I pull it will not lift up to engage. Some of this may be due to rusting issues but I wanted to see if this is something you guys may be familiar with. I know there is a lube point on the parking brake that I have yet to hit but do you have any other pointers before I delve into this?

INFChief

Hi all, I am in the process of restoring a M35A3 that has been sitting for years and after getting the engine and brake system running, the parking brake is stuck and will not engage. It's currently in the low (disengaged) position and no matter how hard I pull it will not lift up to engage. Some of this may be due to rusting issues but I wanted to see if this is something you guys may be familiar with. I know there is a lube point on the parking brake that I have yet to hit but do you have any other pointers before I delve into this?
Do a good visual inspection. You may need to run some penetrating oil into the handle joints. The cable shell should be braided steel wound around the core. Make sure it’s properly secured - soak it with penetrating oil. Take a look at the E-brake & drum assembly at the back of f the transfer. The cable may be stuck or rusted. There should be 2 springs on the lever that actually moves the 2 brake shoes (inner & outer shoe). Those 2 springs help return the shoes to the released position and they must not be broken. Make sure the levers move free on the large pins. Can you post pictures?

MC5601

Do a good visual inspection. You may need to run some penetrating oil into the handle joints. The cable shell should be braided steel wound around the core. Make sure it’s properly secured - soak it with penetrating oil. Take a look at the E-brake & drum assembly at the back of f the transfer. The cable may be stuck or rusted. There should be 2 springs on the lever that actually moves the 2 brake shoes (inner & outer shoe). Those 2 springs help return the shoes to the released position and they must not be broken. Make sure the levers move free on the large pins. Can you post pictures?

Thank you very much for the info. I am going to look into the issue this weekend and follow your instructions. I'll post pictures if I can't figure it out!

Potluckslammy

Having the same issue with one of mine, so I'll be keeping an eye here to discover your solution. Have liberally douched it several times with good penetrating oil...handle kind of wiggles, but won't engage. Was wondering if maybe there was a lock on it that I just couldn't figure out! Probably the cable is frozen...looking like it may just need to come off. 😓

INFChief

The tip of the handle can be screwed in or out. This is more of a fine adjustment so you can periodically readjust to compensate for cable stretch.

If you are going to make any major adjustments at the E-brake drum loosen this handle. Once you are done down below you can take up slack at the handle adjuster knob.

The handle should start to rotate to the applied position east and then you will feel the cable become taught as you continue to apply. You should be able to fully rotate the E-brake handle to the applied position with a little exertion at the end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks