• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 questions, inflating tires, trans fluid

We are picking up an M35a3 tomorrow (I know, I know I make fun of them but had to try one for the prices they have been bringing)

Assuming that a few of the tires will be flat and the possiblity that the central air inflation doesn't work how do you manually inflate the tires? Do they have regular valve stems that I can unhook the central air lines to inflate? I'm not familiar with this setup- at all.

What kind of transmission fluid is recommended for these? I'd like to use transynd when I change everything but what fluid can I use to top it off if needed for the drive home?

Any other tips would be appreciated for the A3 series- thanks again
Andy

rwoods

Andy, for what it's worth my advice is: turn the CTIS off (You'll see the button on the control panel). You can play with it when you get home. The CTIS seems to inflate quicker than the manual way, but until you know that it functions, you risk one or more tires deflating on you after the programmed psi is reached which will cause the CTIS cycle to continue over and over and you risk overinflating one or more tires in the process. I can't explain how this works, I can just tell you my truck has one wheel valve that lets most of the air out once it hits the programmed psi and one that continues to inflate way beyond the cutoff pressure. Once you get home, you can check with some SS member who knows CTIS.

I type too slow so I'll have to make another post regarding the transmission fluid and I'll share further my experience with the M35A3.

rwoods

Andy, I understand that Terry McClanahan is the go to man for CTIS.

I have attached the manual you need. See pages 74 and 75 for transmission fluid questions.

Apparently a lot of these trucks have sat for long periods of time and saw little use since rebuilt so things may be a little dry or brittle. If your power steering doesn't work, check out page 68. You may find as I did that the air has been cut off at the firewall valve due to a leaking regulator (figure 6). If so, you should hear a hiss from the regulator when you open the valve. You can disassemble the regulator (be careful not to lose the parts as it is spring loaded) and lube the washer. I didn't have any thing but spit and it still works 6 months later*.

One last comment on the CTIS, if the plumbing is leaking and you have the tools and the strenght to get the stone shields off, you can bypass all of the ctis plumbing by attaching a brass bushing with a valve stem to the 3/8" pipe that comes out of the rim.

*I didn't attempt a long distance recovery. Just had to get it the few miles from the drop off to home and actually I didn't want to risk ruining the washer with the fluids I had with me.

Thanks RWoods for the info. Looking forward to see your attachment

Scott- I'm hoping for the best! I'm 99% sure it's going to be cold and rainy like most of the Riply pickups!

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow

Hey Matthew! If anybody wants to race Matthew's M35- they will loose!

Looking forward to catching up with you and Tony next time in Peoria. I'll be there early January as we just sold Peoria Disposal 12 trucks for the Peoria contract which starts Jan 1 (garbage trucks that is.....)

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks