• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 rear wheel bearing packing, with photos

michaelpilot1

I retrieved my A3 in July and after putting a few hundred miles on it diff oil started leaking out of one of the inner wheel seals. After doing some research I found the bearings are not only very expensive but the inner bearings are packed at the factory by timken and the inner seal is part of the bearing and not available separately. I suppose if the seal fails the bearing is meant to be replaced. With inner bearings in the 800$ each range I decided to try to clean the seals and repack them and since there is not suppose to be diff oil in the bearings any way I would order new outer seals to keep the diff oil out of the bearings. I have attached a series of photos of the process, it seems the bearings, with the CTIS system, include bezzels that are part of the inner bearing race and protrude into an air seal in the inboard hub. The inner grease seal is driven (metal to metal seal) into a small lip that is machined into the outer bearing race with the inner part of the seal (also metal to metal seal) is driven onto a small lip machined into the inner race. I was conserned about damaging the seal by driving it off of the inner race so I left it attached to the race and packed the bearing from the inner side (sort of time consuming) then applied a light layer of aviation permatex to the outer perimeter of the seal and gently drove it back into the outer race. I hope the photos uploaded well. If you want higher quality photos PM me and I will try to forward the larger file photos.

Attachments

trukhead

I purchased a A3 rear axle for a rockwell project and after reading this thread I realized I would like to strip the A3 bearings and related stuff on the axle as spare parts for my A3 duece.
Will the A2 bearings fit the A3 axle and hubs?
Are the A3 front inner and outer axle bearings and the rear inner and outer axle bearings the same part numbers?

michaelpilot1

I purchased a A3 rear axle for a rockwell project and after reading this thread I realized I would like to strip the A3 bearings and related stuff on the axle as spare parts for my A3 duece.
Will the A2 bearings fit the A3 axle and hubs?
Are the A3 front inner and outer axle bearings and the rear inner and outer axle bearings the same part numbers?

I have not worked on the front yet but the parts book gives the same inner (12448545) and outer (A-50085) bearing part numbers for the front and the rear. The company in Tennesse that sells bearing kits to convert from CTIS bearings to the A2 bearings says that to make the change on the front you have to change the spindle but on the back you just have to remove the air supply adapter ring then install the A2 bearings and plug all of the air line holes in the hub.

trukhead

Thanks a ton for this thread!!:smile:

I have a take-out rear A3 axle from another's bob project. I had intended to strip it of it's A3 bearings, seals etc.

Can the hub be removed from the axle with out destroying the seal?
Is the outer bearing outer race and the inner bearing outer race a slip fit in the hub?

Is the thought of removing all the bearings from the axle and keeping them for future use not possible without destruction of seals?

I was under the impression that all was removable without damage.

The other thread started upon removal of the inner bearing, destruction of the seal would occur.

What did I miss?

Again, thanks abunch!!!!!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know guys if I am not mistaken Memphis Equipment makes a kit to convert all the A3 wheel bearings over to the A2 type, when I heard about this the first thing I thought was WHY would anybody be concerned about that? Then I found out the prices for the inner bearings on the A3, thank goodness I own only A2s
KK

michaelpilot1

The outer bearing races are a press fit in the hub but the inner bearing assemble just slides off of the axle and stays with the hub when dissassembling, my seals appear to be okay even though i pushed the inner race and seal out of the outer race. I spent some time cleaning the seals before reassembly and replaced the outer seal that prevents diff oil from coming into the bearings (don't forget the little cork gasket under the outer race). If my bearings cause me any grief I will replace them with the A2 bearing kits from Mempis Equipment, to replace all 6 wheel bearing with the A2 stuff is about 1.000$ since you have to replace the front spindles.

So far 1k miles on the bearing repack and no problems, this summer I plan on taking it back down to inspect for seal leakage.

Thanks a ton for this thread!!:smile:

I have a take-out rear A3 axle from another's bob project. I had intended to strip it of it's A3 bearings, seals etc.

Can the hub be removed from the axle with out destroying the seal?
Is the outer bearing outer race and the inner bearing outer race a slip fit in the hub?

Is the thought of removing all the bearings from the axle and keeping them for future use not possible without destruction of seals?

I was under the impression that all was removable without damage.

The other thread started upon removal of the inner bearing, destruction of the seal would occur.

What did I miss?

Again, thanks abunch!!!!!

trukhead

The outer bearing races are a press fit in the hub but the inner bearing assemble just slides off of the axle and stays with the hub when dissassembling, my seals appear to be okay even though i pushed the inner race and seal out of the outer race. I spent some time cleaning the seals before reassembly and replaced the outer seal that prevents diff oil from coming into the bearings (don't forget the little cork gasket under the outer race). If my bearings cause me any grief I will replace them with the A2 bearing kits from Mempis Equipment, to replace all 6 wheel bearing with the A2 stuff is about 1.000$ since you have to replace the front spindles.

So far 1k miles on the bearing repack and no problems, this summer I plan on taking it back down to inspect for seal leakage.
I really appreciate the help from the info on this thread. I am going to try to strip the take out axle of it's A3 bearings. I want to keep them as spares for my A3.

You know guys if I am not mistaken Memphis Equipment makes a kit to convert all the A3 wheel bearings over to the A2 type, when I heard about this the first thing I thought was WHY would anybody be concerned about that? Then I found out the prices for the inner bearings on the A3, thank goodness I own only A2s
KK
Yup, found them. Thanks, I want to keep the A3 bearings as spares for my A3. I would definitely use the A2 conversion bearings as replacement bearings if I use the axle for another project.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks