• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 recovery question

guns1977

I'm going to get a m35a3 that will have to be hauled home, online the dimensions are 228"x79" anyone know for sure that is correct, I want to be sure my trailer is 82" no room for error. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What weight capacity is your trailer?

How long is your trailer deck?

Do you have fenders higher than your deck?

Do you have a picture of the trailer?

searls84

I used a 45ft triple tandem axle deck over gooseneck trailer to haul my deuce home. If your trailer floor is set between the axles, it won't fit. Also better have at least a 1ton pickup and trailer brakes are in good working order. I pulled mine 300 miles with my 2500 GMC and would not recommend doing that to anyone for safety reasons. Also you may be approaching the threshold for needing a CDL. Think long and hard before you commit to doing this, not worth your life or someone else's. Just my 2cents...

Attachments

Hoefler

This trailer was GVW rated at 11,000 pounds, was old but had good tires. Looked to be 16 to 18 footer. They made it home-about 20 miles away with no issues.
Pete
IMG_2456.jpgIMG_2455.jpg

guns1977

Thanks. Im going to use my 1ton dually but thought my 7ton bumper pull tilt trailer might work. it has fender wells and i have 82" between them. i could pull a 12ton trailer and have more width but its a bumper pull and did want to pull it unless i had to its HEAVY..... thanks for all the responses

Hoefler

The guys who picked up my A3 where on a short trip. The A3 weighs about 13,500 pounds with a lot of the weight right on the front axel. I was surprised they actually made it. Be careful here-bigger may be better. Check the weight of your trailer against the total weight -that number should be at least 13,500. Also-the guys who picked up my A3 used straps-they really should have used chains to be legal.

sandcobra164

And to think I get fussed at by members for towing MK 14 trailers with my Deuce that actually stop's more suddenly with the airlines hooked up. Anyhow, back to the OP, you need a CDL A to tow a 10,000 pound or over trailer. You should not tow it with a 1 ton truck regardless of the brakes on the truck or trailer. If they are in anyway questionable you open the door to a DOT inspection and they love "low hanging fruit". They know the law as well as any CDL driver has learned. To tow a load that heavy, once again, you need a CDL A. It's not very difficult to get a CDL but once you have one, you'll understand the differences and the liabilities you open yourself up to. The new Dodges claim they can tow 37,000 pounds of trailer weight, they don't mention 1 time that you'd need a CDL but that's advertising and I'm telling you to haul 10,000 pounds behind that Dodge, you'll need a CDL and if you're over 26,000 combined, the same. CDL A, that closes one gap but you'll have to use common sense to do it safely and get out of the lawyers sights if it goes wrong.

guns1977

Yup plan to stay off the radar as much as possible. we deal with the DOT at work on our trucks they will ground you for nothing just to hold us up till they TRY to find something. if you get stopped your getting a ticket of some sort. it just depends on how much. questionable loads wait till dark so they cant see it very well....hehehe...

welldigger

A 1 ton will tow a deuce just fine as long as you have good trailer brakes and good tires. Now what I don't think will work is using a bumper pull trailer. I would strongly suggest a gooseneck trailer. Mostly because of the tongue weight involved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks