• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 shifting characteristics

Warren Lovell

My question goes out to the M35A3 owners...

How does your trans shift?
Mine goes from a long first, then shifts to second and goes quickly to third and then 4th.

Is this normal?

If I go up a hill I manually downshift to third because the trans doesnt do it at the point i like.

Westech

CPL
Top speed is 52 ish... and how yours is shifting is how its set up to. That is normal. I run them like a 4 speed Manual when I drive them. The LMTV/FMTV shift the same way.

lonegunman

Sounds exactly like mine. I switched to ATF and it got a little smoother but it still shifts a bit hard. Two quirks, first it is right at 30mph between 3rd and 4th and in city traffic it wants to kick back and fourth. Second, it sems to downshift hard into first, everything else is fairly smooth. Allison guys thought it was about right for the model of trans.

motomacguyver

I just had mine rebuilt and dyno tested by an authorized allison dealer. Yours sounds like mine.

Going up, First and second smooth and fast, going to third it revs up for a second and drops into gear, same for fourth.
Coming back down fourth to third is smooth, then it drops into second and first pretty hard, and close together at slow speed.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine takes a little longer than I like to get to fourth though.
I lift up on the throttle and it goes to 4th.

wehring

M939a2

This is not an A3 but similar. One of my M939A2 trucks with an Allison will not shift up until I let off of the accelerator. It does not take much but I do have to let up and get back into it for it to shift between 2/3 and 4/5.

It is a pain but it seems to be working fine otherwise.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks