• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Specific Parts / Issues

Skycop

Well, after getting our M35A2 to a local fire department for use as a brush truck, we are officially an M35A3 agency. As such, I have found this "new" truck requires quite a few unique parts and would like to start this thread to help address finding these parts, etc. I will start off with an excerpt from a previous post I had about the starter relay.

have been chasing down a starter problem with our M35A3. It is the typical solenoid issue, however, upon digging a bit deeper I may be replacing the Starter Relay as well. I just wanted to share my experiences with other SS members as the -A3 is really starting to become available through GL, DRMO, and other sources.

The Starter relay that was on our truck is a Prestolite 24 Volt WSE-4101AT, or WSE-4101A. The good news is that Skip at Prestolite was SUPER helpful. The bad news is that he told me that relay has been out of stock/production for about 6 YEARS+aua Yes, I know, this is the norm for these trucks as they weren't produced in the numbers the -A2 was, however, very disheartening.

However, upon shooting e-mails to most of the major suppliers for MV parts a few of them have them in stock...but they are EXPENSIVE (as are most MV parts). I just wanted to pass along this part # and my experiences with it.

Skycop

Starter

In addition to replacing the battery cables (at least cleaning the connections and replacing as needed) we found that our problems had been the system had been producing low voltage to the starter, which after trying to work with low voltage had decided to take a dump.

Apparently, there were a few different types of starters on the -A3, however, they are different from the -A2 starter (from what I was told). The starter we had on our -A3 was a Leece Neville NSN# 2920-01-412-0140, Model# M0017702ME.

This starter was found by a couple of the MV suppliers but prices were WAAAY up there. A local shop found a Delco 41NT Starter, which has the same performance specifications as the Leece Nevill Starter and which is commonly available in the commercial MV market (as a matter of fact, they said similar CAT motors use this starter in the civilian market). They were able to take the "guts" out of the 41NT Starter and put it in the case of the Leece-Neville. This allowed for us to get a rebuilt starter internal while still using the same case.

Again, just trying to put the information out there if anyone else has problems of this nature. Saves us alot of money. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks