• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Starter Relay

Skycop

As you may or may not know, I have been chasing down a starter problem with our M35A3. It is the typical solenoid issue, however, upon digging a bit deeper I may be replacing the Starter Relay as well. I just wanted to share my experiences with other SS members as the -A3 is really starting to become available through GL, DRMO, and other sources.

The Starter relay that was on our truck is a Prestolite 24 Volt WSE-4101AT, or WSE-4101A. The good news is that Skip at Prestolite was SUPER helpful. The bad news is that he told me that relay has been out of stock/production for about 6 YEARS+aua Yes, I know, this is the norm for these trucks as they weren't produced in the numbers the -A2 was, however, very disheartening.

However, upon shooting e-mails to most of the major suppliers for MV parts a few of them have them in stock...but they are EXPENSIVE (as are most MV parts). I just wanted to pass along this part # and my experiences with it. I am thinking about starting a thread specifically for the -A3 owners and their experiences with parts, locations, etc.

Skycop

Does anyone know what size and/or type of battery we need to get for our -A3? The manual says that we need a 12v 120 ampre-hour battery that weighs 72 lbs (I think). I looked and we have two OPTIMA Red Top 34/78 1000 cranking amps / 800 cold crank amps powering out electrical system. I don't know if this is enough or not as the guy who rebuilt our starter said the starter looked like it had been working hard due to low voltage/amperage causing the starter problems we had.

thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red top Optimas will be fine. They only have one half of the reserve capacity of the military spec ones, that's the basic difference.
The typical current draw for the starter at 24 volts is 250 to 300 amps.

lawnmowerman

I know this is old news to you. But want to ask question? I have an a3 also. From time to time when I go to start it I hear behind the dash a sound like solenoid kicking . Then don't start have to try two or three times then it starts what is that clunk I hear behind the dash? thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks