• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Steering "Pop"

Trailfinder

When I am making a turn the steering linkage will make a "pop" sound one time about half way through the turn. It does not "pop" when straightening out the vehicle after the turn.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the condition related to the air assist system?

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same thing on my A3. I have tried lubing at the zerk fitting near the boot right behind the front axle (on the steering link). It seems to lessen, but not eliminate the pop.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A3 used to do it until I greased everything. I couldn't tell what was popping, but greasing everything with a zerk stopped it. My A2 has never popped.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A3 does it also and one of my A2's does it as well. I have lubed them, but I may try to Lube them with the tires off the ground.

Dave08

Gaa

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a case of GAA. Does anyone know where to get GAA or a civilian equivalent?
GAA stands for Grease Automotive Artillery. You do not need to have something that specifically states GAA on it. You can use any automotive grease that you would prefer and it will do the job. I use a high temperature grease. However, if you are a nostalgic buff and just have to have something that comes in an OD can that states GAA on it, I would suggest EBay.
Dave08

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting big pops when I turn, going to grease all the zerks noted in the TM's before I pull the front end apart. Mines almost to 6K, think I saw in the TM's time to pull and repack the bearings...

WOW. Amazing what a little grease does! No more pop and it steers easier than ever! I did notice I have a leak at the bottom of the steering gear though. Does it ever end?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks