• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 tire changing to 395/85/20 part 1

YOUNG GUN

All of your A3's look great on 395's:-D
Quick question:
What tire pressure are you guys running in the MV/T's?
Is 35 PSI about right?
I just picked up a set today, and I'll have them mounted tomorrow morning:beer:

jaymcb

^ Mine too, although my CTIS takes about 7-8 miles to get them to 44PSI. For my long highway run home on my recovery, I also set my tires pressure to 50. Since they bleed down a bit sitting, now the CTIS sets them to 44.

If I had unlimited funds, I would send a CTIS head unit back and have it recalibrated to set the highway setting pressure to 50, which is about as high as you want a CTIS system pressurized to.

Hoefler

Mounted a set of 395's on Hemtt wheels on my M36A3. They look and run great. I have an M35A3 that needs new shoes. After seeing how great the big Goodyears look on the A3 wheels, I think I will choose this route.
The handling and driving difference between the tires (Goodyears vs stock Michelins) is big. The truck takes on a whole new feel with the Goodyears-its much better. No wobble, steers nice. One thing I have noticed, that is the trucks sits a while it takes about 5 miles before the Goodyears feel less "bouncy". After they warm up a bit, they feel smooth.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hoefler

The larger tires provide more speed though I seldom go over 50 MPH. One curious thing I discovered, the speedometer in the truck read faster than actual speed. After tire change I used a GPS and now fing the speedometer matches the speedometer exactly! Wonder if I have an A2 speedometer in my truck.
So on here run there trucks wide open-I dont feel comfortable with this. The larger tires allow me to not hold traffic up (side roads) without reving engine fast.
I got my tires and rims from Scott in Blaine-it was a good addition to my truck.
Pete

sierra117

Your A3 looks great now I can't wait for my tires to wear out so I have a reason to get some new tires. 395s seem to be cheaper and easier to find as a replacement.

YOUNG GUN

Your A3 looks great now I can't wait for my tires to wear out so I have a reason to get some new tires. 395s seem to be cheaper and easier to find as a replacement.

Thanks.

Once I got a look at all the deuces on 395's, it was game over.
I probably could've got many more miles out of my stock tires, but could not seem to stop myself.
I thought about going with the Conti MPT-81's, but when these MV/T's came up on GL I had to have them.
Best price I could get on the Conti tires was $4,620 installed; [8] brand new never used NOS Goodyear MV/T's cost me about $2,700 and had them installed at a local tire shop for $150 (special deal).
I helped the guys install from start to finish, and it took us about 4.5 hours to do all 6 tires (I still need to do my spare).
After helping install them, there is no way those are coming off the rim with the internal bead lockers; The tire beads are clamped in there sooo effin tight its ridiculous.
Here's to hoping your tires wear out soon, its a fantastic upgrade.:D
:beer:

lonegunman

Bummer, my A3 has decent tires and I have a full set of six new spares for it. Never been mounted, new tires. If I do not wear my current set out they will go with the truck if I sell it.

Any problems with clearance between the duals?

YOUNG GUN

None at all between the rears.
The only thing I haven't done yet is take it for some serious offroading, so we'll see if I rub under the bed while fully articulated.
I don't think the tires are ever going to touch each other, unless you break a dog bone or something.

Hoefler

I have two A3's-one with GoodYear 395's and the other with the stock Michelins. Big tires give a little more of a bouncy ride and lower RPM and slower off the line. The other truck with stock Michelins had a bad shake with the fronts at 45-so I pumped them up to 52. No more shake, no bounce and tracks nice. I have the rears at 45 and have noticed at 50 MPH over rough pavement (Minnesota), the back and gets all out of sorts once in a while. It can get a little interesting getting her straight again. I think I will leave the Michelins on this truck.

YOUNG GUN

I have two A3's-one with GoodYear 395's and the other with the stock Michelins. Big tires give a little more of a bouncy ride and lower RPM and slower off the line. The other truck with stock Michelins had a bad shake with the fronts at 45-so I pumped them up to 52. No more shake, no bounce and tracks nice. I have the rears at 45 and have noticed at 50 MPH over rough pavement (Minnesota), the back and gets all out of sorts once in a while. It can get a little interesting getting her straight again. I think I will leave the Michelins on this truck.

When I still had the stock michelins on my truck, it would do the same thing over rough roads occasionally but only on big bumps.
One morning when it was raining I went over some railroad tracks at about 25mph and it kicked the whole rear of the truck out about 4ft:shock:
I got it back under control, but it scared the chit out of me!

AMDOOR

Has anyone found a solution for stowing a spare in the standard location? I saw that YOUNG GUN had a spare in his pictures. Is it a 14.5 R 20 or will a 395/85 R 20 fit? What are the ramifications of running a different size tire to get back home?

YOUNG GUN

Has anyone found a solution for stowing a spare in the standard location? I saw that YOUNG GUN had a spare in his pictures. Is it a 14.5 R 20 or will a 395/85 R 20 fit? What are the ramifications of running a different size tire to get back home?

The one you saw in the pictures was a 14.5 x 20, I had not had the chance to get it changed over yet.
I for one wanted a matching full size spare, fully aired up without any mods to the spare tire area since I plan on dual fuel tanks or another larger tool box, so here's what I did.

Attachments

YOUNG GUN

I have a ramp temporarily, but will install a small 1000# crane in the near future for tire, 55gal fuel drums, etc.

If I'm far from home I usually have a friend with me anyways, and most of my friends are capable of helping me lift it up in there if need be, i've had to do it once already when I forgot the ramp... I'd still prefer to do it with the crane though.