• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 Tire options and Lurker who finally bought a deuce.

Jeep Nasty

Hi,

Long time lurker, finally bought a deuce. I picked up an M35A3. I tried to search without any luck. I. wondering what tire options I have for this thing. The 14.5 R 20 's are dry rotted and not sure if I can use another size on the rims or if that is a no go. This has the CTIS still hooked up which work on 5 of the tires but seems to be assed up on the sixth.

What are some reasonably priced places for picking up some more of the same tires or a suitable replacement. Also, I am not rich and fairly handy, I've been wrenching on jeeps for a number of years. I'm in NH. Also when changing the tires, what issues should I address while I'm in there or what problems can I expect to find.
Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You have to remove the CTIS system when changing tires. Some of the parts are made of "unobtainium". If you break them you will be sucking wind to find them cheaply. If you take the truck to a tire shop make them aware of this and have a copy of the TM with you that shows how to change the tire.

camp9

I disconnected the ctis on mine and made it what I call normal :) When doing so you'll need to remove the weights that balance the rims for the ctis. And as far as the ctis controls, just unplug the power supply cord if you still want it for looks in the cab.

Here's another thread on A3 tire options.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60697-M35A3-Tire-Replacement

As Camp mentioned, there are differing opinions regarding replacements. 395's are much cheaper but the bead is taller than stock A3 MPT rims. If you stick with MPT tires they're pricey, typically in the $400-$700 range. Also, you will need to factor in that many A3 owners are on the lookout for ones in the low end of that price curve since they have sporadic availability.

Good luck...

Jeep Nasty

So what options do I have for replacement rims that will fit, "properly" that wont break the bank. If to much money I'll use the stock rims, since this is an around town rig. with the 395's who are some reputable and affordable sellers., (preferably in the northeast). Price seem to vary big time from what ive been able to find. How much do shops charge to mount these types of tire on 2 piece rims if I want to save myself some headaches.