• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Tire Replacement

Rustygears

The best deal I've seen for exact A3 replacement tires is the Continental MPT-81 in 365/80R20 which is the 14.5R20 in modern nomenclature. They are in stock and available from Expedition Imports in Vallejo California. These are new stock tires. I just had two shipped to me last week and the DOT date code for one was January, 2011 and the other was May, 2011. Price was 1/3 of what my local Continental dealer could offer, even when I included shipping in my price comparison.

I would strongly recommend against using 395/85R20 on a A3, aside from the wrong bead, because it only allows 1.2 inches clearance between the duals in the rear of the truck. That is not allowing for elongation at highway speed and I think they may actually touch at speed. in any case 1.2" is way too close. The stock spacing is 4.6 inches.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wouldn't worry too much about using 395s in a dual(axle) configuration. I have been running them for the last few years and have had no issues. I have run over just about every terrain there is and love them.

Skycop

So to follow up on this post, pretty much everywhere I have tried calling is out of the 14.5 tires with the exception of the European tires mentioned in this thread.

I am writing to see if anyone else has had any luck with the 395's and what risk I am taking by putting those tires on our rims. Our city will not go for spending the money to convert the rims.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been done several times, you'll get no real answer. So I'll give you this.

Will they fit? Yes
Are they made to fit on the A3 wheel? No
Have I (personally) had any issue with them? No

Your mileage may vary!

Thunder in NWOR

This month, I bought 5 new Michelin 14.5R20 (dated 2008 ) from Expedition Imports Corp, in Vallejo, CA. Fair price, even with shipping.
(They have a web site, but I think you need to call them, as they were not listed there when I purchased.)

Last edited:
The 14.5x20 are hard to come by. If I remember correctly, a week or two ago I saw a classified from 100 dollar man advertising new 2008 DOT code tires for something like $400 each. If you want to stay with the stock size tires that seat correctly with the MPT rims there are either the Michelin's or the Conti's that Grin mentioned. When I needed tires for my recovery in January I went with new Conti's as there were no others available on the market. And I called at least two dozen shops. I ended up talking with a Conti rep. and had him ship the tires directly to my shop.

Last edited:

Hooper

So to follow up on this post, pretty much everywhere I have tried calling is out of the 14.5 tires with the exception of the European tires mentioned in this thread.

I am writing to see if anyone else has had any luck with the 395's and what risk I am taking by putting those tires on our rims. Our city will not go for spending the money to convert the rims.

There are some forsale on ebay. The item number is 140737626331.

Skycop

Well, we went ahead and got some gently used 395s and threw them on. Truck rides a lot smoother, quieter, better speed, and looks even better. For everyone who is interested, our city will be putting the lot of 14.5R20s up in an auction wihtin the next few months. About 1/2 of the tires are pristine, but the remainders are pretty worn. I will post photos and links when available.

For everyone who PMed and gave public advice, [thumbzup] THANK YOU!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'll put the 395s on as well. Is there any evidence that bad things will happen? Show me .
If there is one concept that I could point to that explains the success I've had in my Engineering career its : Lots of things that aren't supposed to work do anyway."

SEAFIRE

FYI:
DRMO / Texas Facilities commssion in Fort Worth has seventy-two 395/85 R20 on 5-ton rims for $65 each.

Skycop,
Sorry you had bad luck with Gensco, we've never had a problem with them, but we get different tire types from them

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks