• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Tires , Something to keep a eye on .

R Racing

While getting my tires on my A3 swapped out today we found that in the front 2 tires ( we are still swapping them out and won't finnish til tomorrow) More so the 1 I had problems with losing air after a day or 2 , Was filled with broken rubber and the inner sidewalls were damaged badly. I have never moved this truck unless the tires were pumped up . but obviously the military had. Also noticed the the outside side walls were not smooth and looked almost chewed up were they were almost gone on the inside. So keep a close look at you tires !!

Attachments

R Racing

It was a blowout waiting to happen . But the outside didn't look all that bad but the inside did !! Thats about a ash pail full of rubber in there .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yet ANOTHER reason to be leery of 14.50r20s. Glad you found it before you hit the road on a long trip.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I blew a tire on my M35A3 during the recovery from Fort McCoy in January. The tires looked perfect from the outside. Perhaps I had the same issue.

R Racing

The oppisite front tire looked like new but it had been sheding rubber to but no were as much as that side. here is the picture. As far as out of balance it drove fairly smooth with only a small bounce.

Attachments

ODw/envy

Bead locks and low air in the sand box wow.
You beat me to it. How often does an active duty truck see "highway pressure".

My bet would be that the trucks are run at sand, mud, snow settings.

Hundreds or thousands of miles fully loaded with 15psi = ???

Keep a close eye on all military tires!

All of my trailers have had 10-15 psi.

mktopside

Banned
You beat me to it. How often does an active duty truck see "highway pressure".

My bet would be that the trucks are run at sand, mud, snow settings.

Hundreds or thousands of miles fully loaded with 15psi = ???

Keep a close eye on all military tires!

All of my trailers have had 10-15 psi.
On the A3 specifically, the CTIS will raise the tire pressure when the max speed of the specific pressure setting is exceeded. For instance, in the "Mud Sand Snow" setting, if you go over 5mph (IIRC) it will bump the pressure up to the next setting.

.......this is assuming that the CTIS is working.

McCrackin

I have a similar problem....a couple of tires on my A3 have slow leaks (takes about 5 days) I suspect the CTIS system but who knows....What tire did you end up installing?

R Racing

I got some used 15.50 X 20 s from Atankersdad ( Dudley ) on here To help lift the truck a tad and give me a few MPH more. So far the leaky tires werent the CTIS . We found the Gromets on the air fittings either loose or shot.So I don't want to blame it on something that may not be bad. The 15.50 X 20s are the same height ( 46"s) as the 395's but don't rub and can be put on the stock rim. Will have pictures later.

dittle

Its amazing what kind of neglect machines will experience when they are operated by people who don't actually own them. Perfect example with your tires RR.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest problem I have seen on the A3 tires losing air has been the grommets. I have never had a CTIS wheel cylinder leak, not the tubing. The large wheel o-ring hasn't leaked either. Like previously, the grommets are dry rotted and/or loose due to a loose nut. I happen to like the CTIS system. Perhaps if mine didn't work well, I would have a different opinion. The only thing I don't like about the CTIS system is that you have to screw with it when you remove a wheel.

R Racing

Ok got the tires on (15.50 X 20s ) and this is how it looks. I couldn't imagine a taller tire on there !! LOL ;-) And installing the flaps was a bear , But I think it looks good ! I have 5 good take offs if anyone is looking for any stock tires for a m35a3.

Attachments

powerhouseduece

Ok got the tires on (15.50 X 20s ) and this is how it looks. I couldn't imagine a taller tire on there !! LOL ;-) And installing the flaps was a bear , But I think it looks good ! I have 5 good take offs if anyone is looking for any stock tires for a m35a3.

Now thats what they should look like!

R Racing

Thanks Matt !

Couldn't have done it without ya ! It looks really good and now I can more than keep up with traffic.wouldn't mind finding a few more incase I end up with another A3 LOL :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks