• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Title Problems in Georgia

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have now re-submitted my SF-97 paperwork with the Towns County local office in Hiawassee. They agreed that I shouldn't have any problems, getting a title for my A3, but they acknowledged that the State motor vehicle dept is full of politically correct people that don't like MVs and others that don't know the regulations. The county people told me that I have a 50/50 chance of it going through.

Monica

If the A2 age predates '87 it's grandfathered, and not subject to that crud. My Diva's a '66, even though the engine is from an '87 contract, so I was good. Dad offered to let me trade up to an '87 because of rust issues, and well, we decided not to go there.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, Just titled my A3 (1994) today at the county office, no problem. You might want to search for a thread at this site" Dekalb County vs Ryan McGill." His problem was with a zoning infraction (which he won) , but his research addresses some of the issues you are facing. Many code enforcement personnel don't know the law, Many DOT officers don't either. You might take a look at Ga Code 40-2-87 (3) which talks about commercial vehicles and (24) which defines Recreational vehicles. Monica is referring to the Ga title law which states that a vehicle produced prior to 1986 is not a vehicle that can be titled in Ga. You need a paid invoice (bill of sale) and a form T-22B (Rev-02-10) Certification of Inspection, to obtain a license plate. Be sure the law book is current as the law has been subject to a number of changes. The irony of this is that my 1994 A3 and your 1998 A3 may very well have been manufactured many years prior to those dates, but that is a subject for another thread.

Good Luck, Mac

abh3

I had the same problem in Alabama, they'd written a law designed to keep jap minitrucks and golfcarts from being tagged and it required any vehicle to be tagged meet the safety and emission standards required of it as of the date of manufacture. I quoted U.S. Code stating that MV are exempt from EPA/DOT standards. Period. Not just when made and not just when in govt. service, read the Code, sir, etc... AND that exemption transfers with the vehicle (TO: John M. Tolliday -- President, Dayman USA Inc. (Bedford, VA) , FROM: John Womack -- Acting Chief Counsel, NHTSA) That in conjunction with the way the AL Code was written won the day.

Oddly enough, AL had no problem with titling, it was the TAG they didn't want to provide...

Georgia code might be different... Good luck!

Federal Code for NHTSA regs 49 CFR 571.7(c)
c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications.

TO: John M. Tolliday -- President, Dayman USA Inc. (Bedford, VA) , FROM: John Womack -- Acting Chief Counsel, NHTSA

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem in Alabama, they'd written a law designed to keep jap minitrucks and golfcarts from being tagged and it required any vehicle to be tagged meet the safety and emission standards required of it as of the date of manufacture. I quoted U.S. Code stating that MV are exempt from EPA/DOT standards. Period. Not just when made and not just when in govt. service, read the Code, sir, etc... AND that exemption transfers with the vehicle (TO: John M. Tolliday -- President, Dayman USA Inc. (Bedford, VA) , FROM: John Womack -- Acting Chief Counsel, NHTSA) That in conjunction with the way the AL Code was written won the day.

Oddly enough, AL had no problem with titling, it was the TAG they didn't want to provide...

Georgia code might be different... Good luck!

Federal Code for NHTSA regs 49 CFR 571.7(c)
c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications.

TO: John M. Tolliday -- President, Dayman USA Inc. (Bedford, VA) , FROM: John Womack -- Acting Chief Counsel, NHTSA
This letter will undoubtedly help tremendously in my fight, as well as others in the same situation. I'm not about to give up on this.

zout

You made a great statement above ^^^^ politially correct people.

I kind of doubt most have a preference on any vehicle even be it an MV.
They just know one thing - and that is how to do it the DMV way - enough on that one.

The more correct detailed information you can bring them in simplicity form the better off you are to help them correct their way of thinking - or at least give you the opportunity to show them you can get the tags you are applying for.

Its a whole nother bag o crap to get plates on any vehicle if that is not what it is being used for or the design of the vehicle does not fit the plates applied for - I am not a lawyer - but God fobid if anything would happen while driving - you want the right plates on it and the right insurance for your sake.

Good luck on the endeavor up there.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update on my title problems for my M35A3.
As reported previously, I re-submitted my title application through my local DMV county office (Towns County) after having been declined at the main state office. I have now received a letter from the Georgia Dept of Revenue stating that I owe 7% of the purchase price as sales tax. I already paid 6% when I paid GL which should have gone to the State of Georgia. Apparently, they have no record that any sales tax was submitted to Georgia, although GL clearly indicated on the invoice that 6% had been paid to Georgia. I'll send in the 1% difference and hope I will finally get my title.

3dAngus

Just be sure they have another copy of the paid invoice when you pay the 1% extra. The paid invoice shows the sales tax collected on it. Never hurts to send a duplicate copy when you're dealing with idiots.

I suspect the Atlanta office is still rife with all the flak they received when the big HMMWV auction went on, and the contractor didn't want the Atlanta office to issue paperwork afterwards. And after that, you know the rest of the story. No more HMMWV auctions....

Some of my past research, with a little help from some friends here on SS, indicate it was more than just a little bit of turmoil following the sales up in Atlanta, so they are probably still bitter at all the MVs up there. Next time you go to the Atlanta MV office, you can tell them to just kiss my ARSE. (Not really, of course, ..... I'll do it myself when I get my A3)

Thanks for your contribution. You have paved the way for me in my preparation of possible bad things to come. My guess, however, is I won't have as much problem as you as I live in a county where GL sells MVs on a weekly basis, and they are well used to it here.
Good luck.

pmramsey

Its a whole nother bag o crap to get plates on any vehicle if that is not what it is being used for or the design of the vehicle does not fit the plates applied for - I am not a lawyer - but God fobid if anything would happen while driving - you want the right plates on it and the right insurance for your sake.

I purchased an ambulance from the local fire department to use on our farm seven years ago. Do you think that I could get it titled as a 1996 F-350 w/7.3 L Powerstroke w/4- wheel drive? **** NO. Once an ambulance...always an ambulance. OK...tags issued with 15,000 lbs gross. Installed tag light and for next two years inspections would come and go until I couldn't get it inspected again. Lights here...lights there...all worked of course but not allowed. Remove the lights wouldn't work. Cover the holes wouldn't work. Finally, I returned the tags and slapped a farm use tag on them. I am limited to 30 miles from any of our farm locations and I save a boat load of tag fees each year on the thing. I carry the same insurnace as if it were tagged and get it inspected showing that it is safe except for the use listed on the title.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success!!! I finally received the title for my 1998 M35A3 today after a long fight with the State of Georgia. The State of Georgia finally gave in and admitted that there was nothing in State law that prevented me from registering the vehicle. They had been pushing for specific exemption certificates from NHTSA and EPA for the truck. Copies of letters provided by abh3, who had undergone a similar battle in Alabama, definitely helped. I was determined to fight this to the end. I encourage any others having similar issues to not give up.

Dodge man

Who (position and department) finally gave in and admitted that you didn't have to supply that stuff? Maybe the next time the MV owner can start there instead of having to battle his way up the chain of incompetence, er ah, I mean "command".

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who (position and department) finally gave in and admitted that you didn't have to supply that stuff? Maybe the next time the MV owner can start there instead of having to battle his way up the chain of incompetence, er ah, I mean "command".
It was the Georgia Dept of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division. I don't have the name with me, but she was the manager of the Title Transfer Dept.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Back in october I bought 3 of the A3s , I got 3 florida titles in the mail when I did my sf97s I paid 87.50 per title that was it. Oh they did send me some paper work to sign ( GL DSent it ) Other then that it was all done within 30days of my sumitted sf97

Rodman

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in october I bought 3 of the A3s , I got 3 florida titles in the mail when I did my sf97s I paid 87.50 per title that was it. Oh they did send me some paper work to sign ( GL DSent it ) Other then that it was all done within 30days of my sumitted sf97
Rodman
It sounds like you were dealing with a more intelligent life form than I was.

michaelpilot1

I also have an M35A3 recovered from Fort Gordon last month and am waiting for the SF-97, could you share the NHTSA information? More than likely I will run into the same issues when I go the DMV. Do you think the DMV will accept a photo of the emissions tag on the valve cover or should I get the tag inspected by the officer that inspects the serial number? By the way congratulation on the title accuisition and thank you for paving the way for me.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have an M35A3 recovered from Fort Gordon last month and am waiting for the SF-97, could you share the NHTSA information? More than likely I will run into the same issues when I go the DMV. Do you think the DMV will accept a photo of the emissions tag on the valve cover or should I get the tag inspected by the officer that inspects the serial number? By the way congratulation on the title accuisition and thank you for paving the way for me.
My problem was that I went to the DMV office run by the State of Georgia in Hapeville. I finally got my title by going to my local DMV office in Towns County. I didn't do anything except take the SF97, Paid in Full Invoice, proof of insurance, and the DMV T-22B form where a LEO verified the VIN. This can be completed on-line and then printed at: http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/MV_Serial_Plate_Verification_Form_T22B.pdf I didn't mention my previous problems, NHTSA, EPA, etc. My title came back fairly quick after that.
Make sure they give you the proper license place. It should be a commercial plate based on the GVW. I would be ready to pick up the truck because my SF97 came back very quick.

I have included some documents provided by Benton Hester regarding the NHTSA. As I mentioned above, I don't recommend raising that issue unless you need to - go to your local county tag office.

Attachments

Last edited: