• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 vs m923a2 need some opinions

marbaja252

I currently have a super nice M35a3 with 3800 miles and 575 hrs on it great paint and well maintained. Was a old Sparta truck when I got it the 1,942 miles on it. I have been looking to upgrade to a M923a2 only because of road speed reasons and bigger cab. I have done all I can do to my M35a3 bigger 395's but you just cannot push it much past 50mph. I feel the type of driving I do is going to wear the truck out fast. It is a town and parade cruiser from what I have found.

I know the 5 ton is about 3 feet longer and I still have garage space to fit it.

Throw out and pro's and con's if you guys have them. I have a good deal on a very nice M923a2 and want to pull the trigger, but will have to part with the Deuce, the wife says no to 2 trucks or I may have to live in my shop.

Thanks guys in advance, this site has been a great help on my repairs and fun in this hobby for the past 3 years.

Sorry for the long story.

Csm Davis

Yes look into Iowa state law and local ordinances befor you buy a five ton, and just what are you doing that will wear out a M35?
For me i will never go back to a deuce, I cut my teeth on a five ton steering wheel literally and won't ever be without one.
Pluses,
Wider cab
Power steering
Better top end
Better bottom end
Haul more weight
Easier parts to find

Negatives
Heavier, almost double
CDL and or local ordinances, hassle
Less MPG
Heavier parts, nothing is light on these
Harder to get into, front and rear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MAdams

I've owned a M35A3 and now a M931A2. The biggest reason I sold the A3 was the slow top speed even with 395's and the sloppy air steering. Other than that I loved the truck which was practically new. I like the 5 ton but many of the repairs and maintenance are a 2 person job as most of the parts are bigger and heavier.

My advice would be to drive the 923 and see if you like it.

marbaja252

The slow top end speed and twisting the RPM at 2700-2800 to try and get close to hwy speed concerns me. Everything works on my truck even CTIS other than the W/S washer pump quit. Hard to part with it and sell it, have had a blast with it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a refrigerator and bathroom in your garage?

snowtrac nome

one plus for the 923 is an reliable airbrake system a plus for the a3 is its small and like driving a big pickup the a3 will have a much better turning radius and less blind spots. but I agree I like the larger cab of the 923 which one of the reasons I opted for an lmtv it has an even larger cab lots of room for my stuff.

marbaja252

The visibility and turning radius has been a thought of mine. I can drive my deuce about anywhere including small parking lots. It's no longer than a 1 ton dually pickup. The nose on the 923 is square and I am sure it does create hard to see areas.

Thanks for the input.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soooo, trading the wife is out of the question?

(Just kidding)

If I had a choice between an M35A3 and an M923A2 I'd go with the latter. If you want speed in a Deuce get an A2 and put 395s on it.

Jericho

I have both an m 109 A3 , and an M 931A2 , Love my 109 love to drive it , love to listen to it 9231 is more ENJOYABLE to drive from the comfort standpoint. Wont part with either until I get an FV 435 Parts are getting LEAN for the 109 , not so many around and prices are going up 931, not bad for parts, do al my own work , alone, not much different , as you get old you work smarter not harder, (at least it sounds good)

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends upon the "need". a3 is smaller, lighter, easier to maneuver, and paid for. M923a2 is quite a bit bigger, heavier, roomier, quieter, and has more "current" systems. When I had mine, I had to decide what I wanted the truck for. It wasn't a daily driver or super heavy hauler. Weight restrictions on county and township roads limit the amount of time and areas I could drive the five ton. Like afore mentioned, getting in and out front and rear was harder. Tires were heavier. (everything was heavier) I bought my deuce to drive. I like the manual shifting. I like the roar of the multi-fuel. (I realize you have the 3116 with muffler) I liked the simplicity of the deuce. I like the memories she brought back. The five ton? Well, VERY capable vehicle, power steering and all but drove like a super sized car. Put in gear and go. (you have auto in a3 also)
Gotta figure out what YOU need or want. Each has it's pluses and minuses. For me, I choose the M35a2. I have 11.00x20 all the way around. I didn't get it to win the Indy five hundred. I got it, cause it's a deuce. She hauls most anything I ask her too, she always starts, and I find it fits in here exceptionally well.

GOOD luck with your decision. I respect those that love and keep their five tons, I loved mine too, but just not as much as my deuce.

red

What about keep the a3 and change the gearing for a better top speed? Could either swap the trans or regear the axles? Both are expensive, but cheaper than buying a m923a2

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the solution you need.... Sell the A3 and with that money buy yourself a m35a2 and a m923... get a storage unit and park one. Sell it to the wife as a get 2 for the price of 1 deal:beer:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just how fast are you wanting to go?
The 5 ton isn't much faster. Tires are limited to 55.
No matter how well balanced, they tell you what speed they like.

I know some guys drive faster, but you still have to stop.
The faster you go, the harder to stop.
Cars love to pull out right in front of 5 tons.
Have a dash camera in all my vehicles just in case.
55 is fast enough for me.

5 ton also turns like an oil tanker. Need lots of room.
A tailgate that's 5 feet high and heavy doesn't help a lot either.
It rides like a tank. Of course they all do.
Hauled 7 tons of gravel yesterday. She rode great then.

The brakes work very well. Mine will toss you in the windshield if you wanted to.
Great fuel mileage for a truck that size and Weight.

I have also used my 5 ton for things it was never intended for.
Like a wind block for an approaching storm.
Saved a travel trailer and shed one night.
Truck didn't budge in 90+ mph winds.
Very happy with the size and weight then!!!

I originally wanted a deuce, but couldn't find one I liked.
5 tons instead.
Have really enjoyed mine.

Only you can decide which one fits you.

Happy wife.......Happy life

tobyS

Buy your wife a 5 ton and offer to trade her now and then.

I like 5 tons (bought 13, sold 11). The maneuverability is better with the short wheel base 931 and they make an awesome 4 x 4.

That said, I'm making a 4x4 from one of my A3's to have a daily driver type vehicle (not highway).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks