• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 wheel question ?

I'm in need of a spare tire and rim for my A3...but I can't afford to pay $500 for one, and I can't reposed to one person I see on the classified add on this site . I guess because I haven't been a member long ... can someone please give me some advice ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in need of a spare tire and rim for my A3...but I can't afford to pay $500 for one, and I can't reposed to one person I see on the classified add on this site . I guess because I haven't been a member long ... can someone please give me some advice ?
Welcome to SS. You have to send the seller a private message to respond to classified ads , click on the sellers name on the post and it will bring up a list of things , click on the one that says "private message" and send the seller a message.

so I found a used rim and tire ....$400 plus $175 shipping ....these rims and tires must hold there value pretty good ....it does feel good to have a spare although I hope never to need it ...

davidb56

Couldn't you just use a A2 wheel and tire? they are only a hundred bucks and would get you home. I got A3's on the front, and A2's on the read of my M35A2.

very good idea and that's probably true . wish I would have thought of that before I went in debit for that A3 wheel and tire ....I am still trying to figure what the best option is when I wear out the tread on the set I have now ...I would say there are at about 50% and I have got mixed reviews about Michelin and good year and on and on ...please everyone give me your opinion on the best tire that will fit my A3 ...

I think that's what Mission BBQ puts on all there A3's but I wonder how long they would last on pavement ? I drive my A3 almost every weekend and 99% of the time I'm on the pavement .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think that's what Mission BBQ puts on all there A3's but I wonder how long they would last on pavement ? I drive my A3 almost every weekend and 99% of the time I'm on the pavement .
30 to 40,000 mi depending on the load on pavement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Either the 395s or the 1100 equivalent, I can't remember the size offhand. The 395s do give you back the road speed you lose not having an overdrive trans though.

HDN

365 85 20s are 44in tall. 395 85 20s are 46.
I'm looking into replacing the tires on my A3. I'm not really a fan of the 395s because of their looks and potential rubbing between the tandem axles, but the used tires are so cheap! Are the 395s mostly used on the FMTV?

I thought I read somewhere that 365/85R20s won't mount properly on the A3 rims. Is that not the case?

Are the 1100 tires the typical super single for the 5-ton trucks?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm looking into replacing the tires on my A3. I'm not really a fan of the 395s because of their looks and potential rubbing between the tandem axles, but the used tires are so cheap! Are the 395s mostly used on the FMTV?

I thought I read somewhere that 365/85R20s won't mount properly on the A3 rims. Is that not the case?

Are the 1100 tires the typical super single for the 5-ton trucks?
11.00s are duals on 5 tons. 1400s are stock on the super single 5 tons. 395s and 1600s will fit as well single up.

395s are standard on the LMTV trucks.

Reactions: HDN

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you taken the CTIS system off or stopped using it? There are so many places to leak and all tires degrade when they sit flat. That would be one good reason to have an 11.00 with a tube....they will hold air over time.

Chris alluded to the size....the 14.5 on your A3 is the same diameter as the 11.00. I would question the handling if on the front for any distance, one side big and stuck out while the reversed budd sticks the CL in. Have you tried that combination David?

I run the 395 Mich on my 929A2 dump truck and like them, but I'd get the plus (+) ones that are slightly less tread for an A3. Or like Country says, the GY are a softer ride.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much do you drive, and where do you drive? The answer to this should play a role in what tire you plan on getting.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I don't know as much about the A3 as I do about the A2 (which still isn't much). So, are you more concerned about maintaining a stock look? Or do you want something that looks flashier? Will the knobby (like the Michelin XL look) 46" tires fit ok on the A3? There's a small gap for the A2, is it the same? Also, if you were primarily driving in the mud/off road you'd want a tire to reflect that. If you were primarily driving on-road, then maybe you'd want something that a modern truck/bus uses.
Do you use your truck in any sort of extreme activity? If not, I don't believe it really matters what the offset is on any wheel you use, and this can give you some additional options when looking around. With the way military trucks are over-engineered, I'm not even sure it would matter.
Also, what's your budget? If you can travel, you can find used tires at various auctions (ironplanet for example, there are others) that can save you some money, sometimes. If you can put up with 60-70% wear, you can often find tires on ebay.

HDN

I think for now I am going to stick with used 365s. For the amount I drive I think 50% tread will last me awhile. Plus I wouldn't have to mess around with switching all the tires out at once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks