• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 winch help

blebyu

I have had several m35a2's but this is my first m35a3, it does not have winch, but I do have an m35a2 winch on a residue truck. has anybody installed one on a m35a3 and do we have a link to the cab control set up on the m35a3?
Thanks in advance!
Blebyu

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure you COULD get it to work...but it will be tough. What are you going to use for a PTO? The winch on an A3 is hydraulic, while the winch on an A2 is mechanical. They have completely different PTOs.

blebyu

I am sure you COULD get it to work...but it will be tough. What are you going to use for a PTO? The winch on an A3 is hydraulic, while the winch on an A2 is mechanical. They have completely different PTOs.
Yes I realize it may be an up hill battle...
that is one of the things I was wonder it what the pto on an a3 looked. like I saw that you have an a3 does it have a winch and if so could you post or email me some pics of the controls and the pto?
Thanks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLEBYU: My A3 does not have a winch or else I would be glad to take the pics. If I had to have a winch on my A3...I would sell it and buy one with a winch. You should be able to sell your truck for what an A3 with winch will bring at auction.

MikeON

I understand the A3 takes the same winch as the A2 except it has a hydraulic motor instead of a driveshaft.
Here are pictures on a hydraulic conversion on an M35A2:
M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive
Near the bottom of that page look for "Fred G."
He pulley-drove the pump off the engine.
Unfortunately, his truck was scrapped. I bought his winch, pump and valve from an ebay seller. I'm planning to drive the pump off the PTO (also an ebay purchase). Got the winch mounted but not the pump yet. I tested the winch with my tractor hydraulics and really like the infinitely variable speed and forward/reverse with one lever. Would be interested in any info on the A3 winch such as line speed, etc.
Does your truck have a hydraulic pump already?

blebyu

I was watching one yesterday, to do that very thing, and that truck brought 11,000.00, plus the auction fee 1100.00, then Va. tax on top of that ,would have made that truck be nearly 13k! I have 8500.00 in mine with out a winch. I thought that was crazy money for an a3 with a winch but maybe not...

blebyu

I understand the A3 takes the same winch as the A2 except it has a hydraulic motor instead of a driveshaft.
Here are pictures on a hydraulic conversion on an M35A2:
M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive
Near the bottom of that page look for "Fred G."
He pulley-drove the pump off the engine.
Unfortunately, his truck was scrapped. I bought his winch, pump and valve from an ebay seller. I'm planning to drive the pump off the PTO (also an ebay purchase). Got the winch mounted but not the pump yet. I tested the winch with my tractor hydraulics and really like the infinitely variable speed and forward/reverse with one lever. Would be interested in any info on the A3 winch such as line speed, etc.
Does your truck have a hydraulic pump already?
Kool, Thanks for the link! I don't have anything yet except the winch set up from the residue a2... that and the desire to put it on the a3.
(-;

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Q

You probably love that allison juice box to much.... but they say real trucks use a stick shift?!:-D
If it was mine I would sell just that automatic tranny (+ shifter console), adapt the fuel saving Spicer 3053 complete W/PTO and have a winch truck that can go 65mph all day long !!:wink:

G.

sierra117

You probably love that allison juice box to much.... but they say real trucks use a stick shift?!:-D
If it was mine I would sell just that automatic tranny (+ shifter console), adapt the fuel saving Spicer 3053 complete W/PTO and have a winch truck that can go 65mph all day long !!:wink:

G.
Would that tranny go right in with little modification.

BadMastard

Can I throw in 2 more cents?

You really want to run your hydraulics off the engine. If you run it off the pto, you have to fab up your own lever to get around the shift tower. You also have to get a pto pump, and remember to disengage the transfer case. With a pump on the engine (pulley or Cat) you only have to bring the motor up to speed, and there you go. Plus, all the professional tow truck drivers I know all say the same thing. If you use it alot, you want hydraulic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks