• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 with truck camper

dkconfiguration

First post here - I just purchased an M35a3 with serial 503262 (1996?). It is in superb condition and I plan on doing a conversion with a big slide-in truck camper in the back. I own an RV dealership and we plan on keeping it and using this rig for promotion in parades, and to have a booth at fairs and RV shows, etc... They are attention-getters, and where I am in Maine there are only just a few of these in the whole state, mostly the older a2 version. I have searched a lot online for M35 conversions with a slide-in and have only found 3. One on this forum which was all tan and a couple others online, one with a German-looking camo job and a dirt-bike on the front. I will post lots of photos and give updates as the project moves along, and I just wanted to get my foot in the door here.

Few questions as I am new to the deuce and the 24v system:

In terms of electronic accessories, is it more common for people to just use the newer LED style add-on flood lights which have a 12v to 24v range, or do people use the converter boxes which step 24v down to 12v to run lights, CB's, radios and stuff through that? I will want to do something to get a charge-line into the truck camper 7-way cable which needs to be 12v.

The seller says he disconnected the CTIS wiring since he didn't use it, but that it could work. Is it common for these to be disconnected, or not working?

Do people run fuel system cleaners like Diesel-Kleen in these trucks, or is that a bad idea for any reason?

Last question, big one, maybe dumb one... What should my main concerns be picking up an M35a3 in PA and driving it 600 miles back to Maine? Overheating issues to look for, or things to check every 100 miles? I plan on doing 45mph the whole way.

Great forum here!
Thanks!
Matt

Cleptomaniac

Welcome to the green iron laughing academy.
And congrats on the truck. Well need some pics.
I'm sure some one will chime in that knows about a3s.

bigginstactical

Welcome! Before you get completely beat down in the next few minutes use the google search box on the top right of the SS sight. It is your friend. Everything you asked has been talked about many many many times. Search before you ask, chances are it has been asked before. You will need alot of time in front of the comp now that you own some green iron! Start reading!!! Welcome to the addiction! haha! :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you think you are going to drive 45mph up I95 you better get some yellow flashing lights for the back of that thing. You can get magnetic multi volt ones and tap into the running lights in the back.

dkconfiguration

I've driven a couple dysfunctional class-A motorhoes on the interstate before which did only 45mph at times. It wasn't too bad as I stayed to the right and people saw my huge rig ahead of time. 45 is the legal minimum on I-95, and I can do 50, but didn't want to push it. I have an orange strobe flasher that's magnetic and powered by one C-battery, so that could work. I know about searching the forum for things I asked, and have looked, but I often get into 10-page threads and I will admit to being lazy here with a few quick questions. I am one of the moderators over at the International Ammunition Association forum and I know the feeling of fielding tired questions, but I am really green in this field. My future posts on this unit will be photo updates on camper conversion progress with more data than questions.

Thanks all.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you are buying it from a private owner you can probably pay a local (to the seller) diesel shop to check it out. I am a firm believer if you are not doing at least 55 on the highway you are an accident waiting to happen thru no fault of your own but there are too many impatient drivers bobbing and weaving to get a few cars ahead and an accident is still and accident regardless of how it was caused and the guilty party is not always the only one injured. I am a 5ton guy I don't know too much about the deuces but I run 24 volt lighting there is tons of it available. I have 12 volt converters for audio and gizmos you can just tap 12 volts in between the batteries for low current applications. Central inflation is neat but if you are not off roading the truck you probably wouldn't use it anyways. I put some sea foam in every once in a while.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do people run fuel system cleaners like Diesel-Kleen in these trucks, or is that a bad idea for any reason?

Matt

If you are looking for additives to help the truck run a little stronger, you need to read some of the studies about the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. The fuel these days is not lubricating properly and the proper additive will make a difference. I would go with Opti-Lube XPD Fuel Improver. When you change the oil, look at Opti-Lube Oil Fortifier. It has made a difference in my truck, but I also have a 1971 M35A2. I will tell you the engine runs colder with the Oil Fortifier and the injection pump is morer quiet using the XPD Fuel Improver. Check out their website. The reviews and studies of their project sells itself.

Adrian A

Congrats on your purchase. I'm very interested to see how you set up your camper. I'm curious to see something that fits in the back of these trucks properly.

dkconfiguration

Hi John, yes it is and I'm glad I'm buying in a sale from a guy who knows his stuff and has plenty of experience with these. Looks like good people in here too. Thanks again!

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for additives to help the truck run a little stronger, you need to read some of the studies about the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. The fuel these days is not lubricating properly and the proper additive will make a difference. I would go with Opti-Lube XPD Fuel Improver. When you change the oil, look at Opti-Lube Oil Fortifier. It has made a difference in my truck, but I also have a 1971 M35A2. I will tell you the engine runs colder with the Oil Fortifier and the injection pump is morer quiet using the XPD Fuel Improver. Check out their website. The reviews and studies of their project sells itself.
since these are Multifuel engines would putting a quart of clean lube oil in a tank of ultralow sulfur fuel help that issue any? just wondering?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks