• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3c bed dimensions- front and side panels

BadMastard

I'm looking to find out the front and side panel height's on the drop side bed of the M35a3c. I've found most everything else, but I'm afraid this might take someone with a tape measure going out to their truck.

Or if you know the manual that contains it, I'll look it up. After going through the -10, and the other manuals on xm381 site, I couldn't find it.

And if you have tried it... Has anyone built car ramps for the deuce, to carry their vehicle in the bed? I'm looking at C6x8.2 in a 12' length with mount brackets on it for the tailgate/bed. They would be used for dirt bikes, quads and cars, opinions are welcome, facts are even better!

Jake0147

I believe that just like the fixed side A3, they simply reused the dropside bed from the dropside A2C?
If so, lemme know I'll scruitinize my my A2C for any measurement you need, but the deck surface to the rail surface is 14 inches, same as a fixed side. Only the tailgate is taller on the dropside. (And depending what you're fabricating.... Add 1/8 to 1/4 to that measurement to account for abused hinges being forced up over the years with rust, scale, and miscellaneous debris pinched between the bed and the side).

As for the ramps- I can offer advice there for sure. No matter what you get, bring your sense of adventure, it's a LONG way up. I use 10 foot ramps with the lawn mower arch on the top half. Here's what I'd say- Don't ever get any ramp with an arch unless you really need it. They're tipsy. Flat ramps don't have gravity trying to flip them sideways...

Depending what you're loading, metal ramps on a metal bed are very slippery, and they like to slide sideways a lot. (Utility ATVs are the worst, they've got crazy toe settings), consider drilling a small hole for a pin to keep the ramps from sliding sideways. The straps are OK, but it's a LONG way up, and it's really unnerving when they act that way. If the ramps are not wide, it could be really uncomfortable for a couple days afterwards too.

Last, if you're putting any powersport machine up there, consider rigging up a flat bar to hook over the top of the opposite side, and attach a hand cranked boat trailer winch to it. You and three buddies can usually get a disabled ATV into a pickup truck. In a Deuce.... Pack a lunch! It is also extremely useful when the terrain is not ideal or the ramps are wet, or for whatever other reason you chicken out on riding up or backing down the ramps. It's GREAT for hauling a bike up one ramp while your assistant walks up the other to steady it. The situation is not always ideal enough to warrant riding up or down the ramps, and when they're that long/tall... There is always the temptation to do what you know you shouldn't but yet youre kinda sure it'll be ok just this once... There is no fix for the temptation besides stitches, however having a back up plan ready removes some of the pressure....

Attachments

BadMastard

Jake, perfect information, just what i needed on both questions. Even with pictures!

The thought is to skid coat the ramps to improve traction, and probably duel pinning the ramps is in order. I too have had the ramps slide sideways at the most opportune moments. Judicious use of the berm in your picture is also a good idea!

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks