• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3s in Iraq or Afganistan ?

olewhiskey

Any pictures or info on M35a3s in Iraq or Afghanistan with US Forces? It would intetesrting to see which units used them foe support.

Happyland1410

Not exactly what you are asking for, but when we got our fire department's M35A3 from Forestry it had a sticker on it showing that it had come back from Kuwait. I took a picture of the sticker before we painted the truck red. You can also see the bumper numbers in one of these pictures.

Attachments

jerseyjeep2003

My 71 A2 also has a shipping sticker on it indicating it was in Kuwait. It was recovered from Ft Meade in 2008 by the previous owner. It served as a Military Police vehicle. I was surprised to find that a 40 year truck was still in service.

Attachments

rorybellows

id see deuces runnin' 'round taji in '05. im guessin' they were guardsmen, as they had no armor. probably a shuttle truck cause they're forkin lazy.

or, i think SF might have been using them too

also saw AF security patrols around anaconda and biap. all uparmored with the bedside armor.

seen a few of the lmtvs as gunners. other thatn that, they were 5 tonners or 1114's. maybe a few of the trans cos. adding turrets to their own vehicles

Madfarmersson

Hey there is a video on you tube with a A3 in Iraq.
You must see this one. Search DUCE NA HALF JUMP
should be the first one on top.

I would not want to fix it!:cookoo:aua

Madfarmersson.

Chief_919

My 71 A2 also has a shipping sticker on it indicating it was in Kuwait. It was recovered from Ft Meade in 2008 by the previous owner. It served as a Military Police vehicle. I was surprised to find that a 40 year truck was still in service.
In 2005 I fell in on an equipment set in Afghanistan that had in it a 1968 M35A2 that had never been through rebuild or refit. It still had MERDC paint and a sprag transfer case.

Jared

I was at LSA Anaconda in 2008 and really surprised one day to see an M35 tooling down the road. Don't believe it was an A3 however. And like mentioned above no armor so it was probably base bound. Pretty amazing to see such an old truck there still being used.

x-ray

I asked my friend who has been on 3 tours in Afghanistan - He has not seen one deuce there But wishes he had. Funny he said they go through a lot of John Deere Gators on Kandahar airbase. Its almost like the military could use a jeep sized general purpose vehicle instead of a gator - Hmmm. gets you wondering

He is Kabul right now and promisses to take apicture of any deuce he sees there and I will post, but nothing yet.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a company executive officer and movement officer in 2005, and despite planing to deploy all of our equipment I was not allowed to take my A3's or 923's to A-stan. I don't remember why exactly, but I believe it was CENTCOM policy. Either there were enough in theater or we couldnt take any unarmored vehicles. Turned out we didnt need them anyway.

Back in '03 when my unit was preparing to roll into Iraq from the north all our A3's were staged in Turkey ready to go. Well, that part of the plan never happened so it was all shipped back to Germany, but I'm sure units that went into Iraq from other directions all brought whatever they had. There were plenty of A3's still in service then, and some A2's left so I'll bet plenty of both have rotated through.

Last edited:

AGE|kshaufl

FYI they may have been there in the beginning but have almost all been pulled out.

There is no up armor planned for them.

MRAPs and other government contract vehicles are planned. All vehicles in theater must have up armor and a V-Hull body. I believe that the Hummers are the only ones that don't have to have it (not sure why).

olewhiskey

FYI they may have been there in the beginning but have almost all been pulled out.

There is no up armor planned for them.

MRAPs and other government contract vehicles are planned. All vehicles in theater must have up armor and a V-Hull body. I believe that the Hummers are the only ones that don't have to have it (not sure why).
Thats true about the phaseout, probably looking probably 2003 1/2-2006 action.

rednckii

when i was in iraq in 08-09 we had two deuces in our trans yard they were for on base only as they werent up armored or anything. But we had about 5or6 of the five ton dumps all of em auto so they sucked and couldnt carry much as we didnt have the side racks but they did there job on and off base even had two with turrets on em but this is what you get when seabees are given trucks.