• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m36 starts,wont run

Brett7277

We inherited a 1963 m36.The truck was built by white.The engine seems to run fine with a bit of ether,but is not getting fuel.The fuel pump is on the block under the injector pump,seems to be working fine.The engine has a holley governor at the intake,and is missing something between a vacuum port in the intake at about 9 0clock and a vacuum line coming from the tee where the fuel lines go around the back of the engine to the injector pump.I cant find a fuel bleeder anywhere.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jwaller

you seem to have a bastard but you prob already knew that. diesels don't have vacume so there is no vac port on a multifuel but your talking about holly this and fuel pump under the inj pump and multi's don't have those so pics or more info please.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was built by white? Or do you mean the engine? Or whatever is mounted on the back was built by white? Data plate pics and engine pics will solve this. Being a 63 i'd have a few more questions but need pics first.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a OA331 gas engine, built by Reo and Continental. The two small steel lines that go from the carb Holley governor are connected to the distributor. They have no tees. Make sure you are getting gas from the engine driven fuel pump, or bypass that pump with an electric pump for now. Should fire right up with gas in the carb bowl. Good luck!

DanMartin

Assuming it's a gasser, make sure the float on the carb is working, and that it's not filled with goo/water/bad gas.

A gas engine will run as long as it turns, has spark, and has fuel. Assuming that it runs on ether OK, then it's a fuel problem. Assuming the fuel pump is working (as you said it was...please verify this), it's a carb problem. Check for vacuum leaks and disconnected (missing) vacuum lines (replace all rubber parts).

Should fire right up. That OA331 is a good motor and very reliable.

I'm assuming you have already done and oil change and are using fresh fuel before you tried to fire it up, right?

derby

I think your "injector pump" is the distributor? White did build trucks ,but I have not seen a M36 White. Are you trying to start it on diesel?

tamangel

could it be an LDS-427 multi-fuel? White / Herc were in early deuces but never heard White making any military deuce-type vehicles this late..?

Mike

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Uhmmm... I think we need some pics ASAP:roll:

We have gassers, multis and straight diesel units here...but I'm a tad confused on what engine you have. From what I gather...it's a gasser?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious to see a "white" truck data plate, not saying there isn't one but I can't for the life of me ever rember hearing of or seeing one. I am betting this is a gasser engine too, but then it would not be a white but reo or continental.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light bulb just came on "white" is "Lansing Division of White" on the data plate.:roll:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
There are no stupid questions in the MV world Brett.
As in any other business / hobby...you don't know what you don't know:wink:

We...at least I would like to help you...but we need more info to start.

I suggest you post a pic of the truck (cause we love pics) and several close up pics of the engine so we can all chime in and help identify the engine and look for missing stuff:arrow:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks