• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A2 Deuce, any hints before I purchase it?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to look at a 1967 kaiser deuce m36a2 Saturday to possibly be my first deuce. Anything special I need to look at or for before I purchase it ? Thanks
I agree with frank8003

Driving it for sure should be a requirement. I would crawl around under the truck and look. Searching for "disturbed dirt" on drive shafts and linkages may mean that something recently was repaired. That makes a good conversation starter. The less that has been done to the truck you are looking at the better off you might be. (great big tires, extra lighting, radio & speakers) AND, if you find a truck with all that stuff - don't let your judgment be clouded by "fluff". IMO, a good clean truck can be upfitted anyway you see fit but if anything looks like a hack job just WALK AWAY.

Use the Classifieds Section here to see what others are selling for. Compare features against what you might be looking at. There are plenty of Deuce's to be had, so don't grab the first one you see "because it looks cool".

Download a TM (Technical Manual) that has a "-10" on the end of the file name. At least thumb through it so you have an idea how things should work. There are manual transmission trucks and automatics. The 1967 you are looking at is a manual. That isn't a bad thing... Really!

Hope that helps and when you go look, snap a bunch of pictures. Come back here and upload them and ask questions if you want opinions.

HDN

I have nothing else to add here besides what everyone else has said except that the M36 is a rarer deuce. They're different from the M35 in which they have an extra long wheelbase with one dropside on the bed. I hope you don't plan on bobbing it, especially since I know some members here will pay you to not bob it or trade you an M35 truck and cash for it ;)

ToddJK

I second what the others said, but a buddy who knows a deuce will be the best bet. If not, maybe see if there is a local SS member around, reach out to them and see if they can assist, worst answer is a no. If you're still not sure, have the seller take a video or a bunch of pictures of the truck all the way around, all sides and underneath the motor, and share them here, those of us who have an eye for things may spot something or maybe we might just drool over it, lol.

Gmcfullsize

I have nothing else to add here besides what everyone else has said except that the M36 is a rarer deuce. They're different from the M35 in which they have an extra long wheelbase with one dropside on the bed. I hope you don't plan on bobbing it, especially since I know some members here will pay you to not bob it or trade you an M35 truck and cash for it ;)
I second what the others said, but a buddy who knows a deuce will be the best bet. If not, maybe see if there is a local SS member around, reach out to them and see if they can assist, worst answer is a no. If you're still not sure, have the seller take a video or a bunch of pictures of the truck all the way around, all sides and underneath the motor, and share them here, those of us who have an eye for things may spot something or maybe we might just drool over it, lol.

Attachments

HDN

That's not an M36A2 , unless someone cut it down all ready.
Good eye! I see now that it has the same number of stake pockets on the bed as an M35A2. @Gmcfullsize I'd check the data plates in the cab in person if possible to confirm what they are. I'm thinking either someone fatfingered the model in the truck's listing, or data plates were swapped at some point.

One benefit of it being an M35 is that it's easier to find a parking space for it!

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good eye! I see now that it has the same number of stake pockets on the bed as an M35A2. @Gmcfullsize I'd check the data plates in the cab in person if possible to confirm what they are. Either someone fatfingered the model in the truck's listing, or data plates were swapped at some point.

One benefit of it being an M35 is that it's easier to find a parking space for it!
It's also easier to find a cargo cover for the back of an M35! The only M36 cargo covers I've ever seen were the three piece ones (front, top and back), and the 'troop seats' do not fold down either. BTW, $8K for an M36 is probably cheap, as I would want $10K+ for mine.

jasonjc

It's also easier to find a cargo cover for the back of an M35! The only M36 cargo covers I've ever seen were the three piece ones (front, top and back), and the 'troop seats' do not fold down either. BTW, $8K for an M36 is probably cheap, as I would want $10K+ for mine.
Mine has a one piece 3 color vinyl cover that's starting to show it's age. But I think I have a new tan and 3 color covers in the shed.

Guyfang

Staff member
The M36A2 wasn't all that rare. Every HAWK Firing Battery had about 16-17 of them. The LWB was needed to transport three each HAWK rounds, per truck. And the three launcher loaders, one loader per truck. As well as reload rounds. Say 50 per Battalion, times 10 HAWK Battalions in Germany alone. When I got here we had gassers, but got brand new M36A2's in 73-74?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M36A2 wasn't all that rare. Every HAWK Firing Battery had about 16-17 of them. The LWB was needed to transport three each HAWK rounds, per truck. And the three launcher loaders, one loader per truck. As well as reload rounds. Say 50 per Battalion, times 10 HAWK Battalions in Germany alone. When I got here we had gassers, but got brand new M36A2's in 73-74?
Guy, that was probably half the HAWK batteries we had during that time. Mine was built with the deep water fording kit (but only parts of it remained unfortunately), also has the paperclips on the front bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks