• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A2, M35A2, or a 5-ton For First Build?

BnaditCorps

M35A2, or a 5-ton For First Build?

Disclaimer: I am not looking at a specific truck at this time, but am considering what i should buy.

Also Warning, incoming Wall'o text, you have been warned

First off my uses for the truck (in no specific order):
  1. To haul firewood
  2. Help at my friends ranch
  3. Hauling construction supplies/large parts
  4. Semi-daily driver ((1-3 days a week) I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee for most driving)
  5. Off-road trips (once in a blue moon)
  6. To haul lots of bikes to and from races, and maybe a little trailer (6-10ft car trailer).
  7. May buy an M105 to do a few more things, or build a trailer.
  8. Misc use for the rest

Parking:
  1. None at my house, except a patch of dead grass next to my dads truck, but it would be an eyesore
  2. Could park it out at my friends house
  3. Parking at the end of the street, but the no-key ignition would be ripe for the taking...not saying i live in a bad place, but some bad apples roam around at night. In fact I just saw the 2 that PD takes downtown every other week on the main road
  4. Grandpa's house, in Red Bluff, CA

Can I work on it at home:
  1. Will it fit in the driveway or front of the house? M35 can do both, 5-ton's will be in front of the house.
  2. Will I need a lift/crane/forklift? (basic repairs such as tires)

Gas mileage:
  1. You thought I was being serious?! What a fool!!!!!! xD

Keep in mind i would like to have a winch on the truck as well, just in case. ;)

Anything I missed?
Anything I need to know about the specific truck in general? A.K.A. certain fuel, oil, tires, etc. I should run.

Last edited:

TB58

Personally I would drop the M36 from the pool. If you are interested in a longer bed I would go straight to the the 5 ton.

The M35 is nice because of it's size. The smaller size is a little easier to maneuver and fit places. The parts are big and heavy but manageable especially if you have a second pair of hands. The mechanics on it are fairly simple and once they have been exercised and common problem parts replaced they are reliable. Once I purchase property I will be looking for a M35 with a drop side bed for a ranch truck.

If you want a larger bed I would go with a M925. The more modern 5 ton drives like a pickup compared to my Deuce. Power steering, way more power, auto transmission. Lots of reasons this is a great truck. The down side is you will get into license and registration issues in California. I am not an expert on Cali laws but there are others on here that would know. Other down sides is they are a bit more technological. This means that you will have electrical and little black boxes to deal with.

As far as special equipment you might need...An air over hydraulic 20ton jack is a great thing to have, makes jacking up the truck a lot easier. Large jack stands are a must. If you have to pull the transmission you will need something to lift and lower it. A forklift or a hoist makes this easier, but can be done with a come along. 3/4 inch drive sockets will become the go to set. A good impact gun will be a huge help. Oils, tires and such are all down to personal preference, lots of good threads on those choices on the site.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

Personally I would drop the M36 from the pool. If you are interested in a longer bed I would go straight to the the 5 ton.

The M35 is nice because of it's size. The smaller size is a little easier to maneuver and fit places. The parts are big and heavy but manageable especially if you have a second pair of hands. The mechanics on it are fairly simple and once they have been exercised and common problem parts replaced they are reliable. Once I purchase property I will be looking for a M35 with a drop side bed for a ranch truck.

If you want a larger bed I would go with a M925. The more modern 5 ton drives like a pickup compared to my Deuce. Power steering, way more power, auto transmission. Lots of reasons this is a great truck. The down side is you will get into license and registration issues in California. I am not an expert on Cali laws but there are others on here that would know. Other down sides is they are a bit more technological. This means that you will have electrical and little black boxes to deal with.

As far as special equipment you might need...An air over hydraulic 20ton jack is a great thing to have, makes jacking up the truck a lot easier. Large jack stands are a must. If you have to pull the transmission you will need something to lift and lower it. A forklift or a hoist makes this easier, but can be done with a come along. 3/4 inch drive sockets will become the go to set. A good impact gun will be a huge help. Oils, tires and such are all down to personal preference, lots of good threads on those choices on the site.
That first point was a whim for me, Maybe the M36 will work? Maybe it's to big? Maybe it is perfect?, to many "maybes". Just put it in for consideration.

M35 was my fav out of them due to size, it being the smallest. That would let me put it at my house if need be.

Welcome to California!!! Land of the fr- anti-gun people and environmentalists that have lost common sense.

I would most likely buy that after getting the truck, and if i need one before i believe my dad's friend has one that i could barrow. Again my dad's friend has 2 forklifts, one is in questionable condition, and he uses them to move large tractor parts and tires. 3/4in eh, that seems like an easy to find thing. Impact gun, one will go in the truck on all trips I take (over 100mi).

Things that i can see needing after buying a truck:
  1. Jack
  2. Spare (if not with one)
  3. Impact gun
  4. Pioneer tools
  5. 2 wheel chocks
  6. Hearing protection
  7. LED flashlight
  8. First Aid kit
  9. Traffic Triangles
  10. Road flares
  11. Reflective vest
  12. Tow chains
  13. Air hose
  14. Wrenches (basic ones)
  15. Straps
  16. rope
  17. 100mph tape (because why not?)
  18. Fluids (2-4 bottles of Tranny fluid and Motor oil)
  19. $50-100
  20. Throw Jacket (Waterproof and warm)
  21. Waterproof hiking boots
  22. Helmet/hat
  23. Jerry Cans (1-3)
  24. Ice chest with 4 bottle of H2O in it at all times!!!!!

Anything else?

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M35 and it just seems to fit just about everywhere I go. If it were another 2 feet longer it wouldn't fit in my car port, and it would be to long to work on in the driveway. It can carry just about everything I need, and if I need a little more I hook up the M105.........just my 2 cents.

BnaditCorps

I have an M35 and it just seems to fit just about everywhere I go. If it were another 2 feet longer it wouldn't fit in my car port, and it would be to long to work on in the driveway. It can carry just about everything I need, and if I need a little more I hook up the M105.........just my 2 cents.
Ok, so the main thing i see going for the M35 is the size, and the fact that it gets most jobs done perfectly.
M36 has the larger bed for if you need it, otherwise it is a hindrance.
5-tons have their engines and heavy load capability going for them, but again size is a hindrance.

But they all are more complex than that, but I cannot remember all of them right now.

BnaditCorps

Ok My full list of advantages or disadvantages

M35A2:
Advantages:
  1. Small easy to maneuver
  2. Parts are easy to find and install
  3. Tough, hard to break the basic parts
  4. Engine is multi-fuel
  5. Lots of torque

Disadvantages:
  1. Can't haul large loads
  2. Slow
  3. Gas mileage
  4. Oil changes cost a ton

5-tons:
Advantages:
  1. Tough, hard to break the basic parts
  2. Engine is powerful
  3. Lots of torque
  4. Can haul large loads

Disadvantages:
  1. Slow
  2. Gas mileage
  3. Oil changes cost a ton
  4. Isn't a multi-fuel engine
  5. Large hard to maneuver
  6. Parts are expensive and heavy

Anything I missed?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind the truck itself is the cheap part . Cost of operation is where the money comes in ( especially in communist kalifonia) . Research costs to plate and insure each and whether you will need a CDL ( keep in mind insurance and CDL threads or discussion are not allowed on SS ) . Your asking about your first "build" but haven't include what that will be . M36's are somewhat rare and most people hate to see them cut-up. Depending on your age (unknown) and location you may want to start with a CUCV and grow the herd from there.

BnaditCorps

Keep in mind the truck itself is the cheap part . Cost of operation is where the money comes in ( especially in communist kalifonia) . Research costs to plate and insure each and whether you will need a CDL ( keep in mind insurance and CDL threads or discussion are not allowed on SS ) . Your asking about your first "build" but haven't include what that will be . M36's are somewhat rare and most people hate to see them cut-up. Depending on your age (unknown) and location you may want to start with a CUCV and grow the herd from there.
I am 15, and I know lots of mechanics that can give me pointers, I also have my grandpa that worked on these in France during the era after the Korean War. I will be building it as a truck, do what is required of it, but not anything stupid. I don't want to hurt the truck by doing something stupid. I am looking at cutting the M36 from the running, most are saying it is to big and bulky. I do agree on that as well looking at spec cards and first hand reports.

Registration fees fees look to be in the 800's, welcome to California.

I know you may be saying "Wait you don't even have your standard license yet!?!", but that is the first thing i will do upon turning 16. Until then it will only be driven long distance maybe 2-4 times a year (250 miles 1 way), and that is no issue as my dad drives firetrucks, lots of good stories of the old stick-shifts in bumper to bumper traffic on the way back from fires.

I have stated previously however that i want to start with a deuce, that may change, it may not. In any case though the reason for a deuce is the usability for moving what I will be most of the time, firewood, large parts, tires, etc. Other reason is it is much easier to get under it to look at parts and fluid drain points.

I do know what i am getting into though, don't underestimate that. I am ready for whatever gets thrown at me by a truck project.

Blendmaster2002

I also honestly like the Cucv as your first MV Idea, seems like a straight axle 4x4 1 ton pickup would be perfect! The chevy 80's trucks are tough and everything you can think of is available for them, some of my friends have cucvs with mild lifts, I have also have a non military Chevy 1 ton 4x4, you can get most parts at your nearest auto parts.
But your tread is about the 2.5 tons and 5 tons.
Registration fees in the $800.. You need to look deeper in to this, you don't want to be commercially registered with the California Diesel laws with a 2.5 ton or 5 ton in my opinion.
May want to look at my thread on the matter, California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...loadout-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=0

BnaditCorps

I also honestly like the Cucv as your first MV Idea, seems like a straight axle 4x4 1 ton pickup would be perfect! The chevy 80's trucks are tough and everything you can think of is available for them, some of my friends have cucvs with mild lifts, I have also have a non military Chevy 1 ton 4x4, you can get most parts at your nearest auto parts.
But your tread is about the 2.5 tons and 5 tons.
Registration fees in the $800.. You need to look deeper in to this, you don't want to be commercially registered with the California Diesel laws with a 2.5 ton or 5 ton in my opinion.
May want to look at my thread on the matter, California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...loadout-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=0
If only it wasn't California....

Using this I calculated that registering it as an off-highway vehicle costs ~$200, as an automobile (that has got to be horribly wrong, but it was either that or commercial) it cost ~$280, and commercial cost ~$760 (what i did the first time before getting the feedback).
Note: that was for a vehicle that was last registered in a different state, and from an out of state dealer.

Thoughts?

BnaditCorps

Decided to remove the M36 from the running, decided over-night that it was to big and bulky for what i will be doing for the most part.

Looking at a M35, M54, M926, or M813 now.

Reasoning behind removing the M36 was that it is way to big and much rarer, thus costing more and making storage harder.

DevRev

Ok My full list of advantages or disadvantages

M35A2:
Advantages:
  1. Small easy to maneuver
  2. Parts are easy to find and install
  3. Tough, hard to break the basic parts
  4. Engine is multi-fuel
  5. Lots of torque

Disadvantages:
  1. Can't haul large loads
  2. Slow
  3. Gas mileage
  4. Oil changes cost a ton

5-tons:
Advantages:
  1. Tough, hard to break the basic parts
  2. Engine is powerful
  3. Lots of torque
  4. Can haul large loads

Disadvantages:
  1. Slow
  2. Gas mileage
  3. Oil changes cost a ton
  4. Isn't a multi-fuel engine
  5. Large hard to maneuver
  6. Parts are expensive and heavy

Anything I missed?
Yeah you said can't haul large loads. A deuce and a half can carry 5 tons on pavement. That's a pretty big load...

BnaditCorps

Yeah you said can't haul large loads. A deuce and a half can carry 5 tons on pavement. That's a pretty big load...
I meant as in lots of volume, what i would be hauling would be more voluminous than heavy. Firewood doesn't weigh a lot, but it takes up a lot of space unless you spend time meticulously putting it in place.

TB58

I think I would drop the 813 from the list too. (me personally) Most of the real advantages of the 5 ton come from the more modern 926 than from the 813. I would have to look at measurements but I think the difference between the Deuce and 5 ton bed lengths is what, 2 or three feet? I may be way off on that. Oh, another difference in favor of the Deuce is be height. Especially if you are throwing firewood up in there, the lower bed would be an advantage. I would argue that a 926 would be faster than a Deuce, and with the power steering the maneuverability is kind of a wash.

The HUlk

Some may disagree as folks do have different tastes, we feel advanges of the 5ton include:

automatic transmission
power steering
improved brake system with ABS

BnaditCorps

I think I would drop the 813 from the list too. (me personally) Most of the real advantages of the 5 ton come from the more modern 926 than from the 813. I would have to look at measurements but I think the difference between the Deuce and 5 ton bed lengths is what, 2 or three feet? I may be way off on that. Oh, another difference in favor of the Deuce is be height. Especially if you are throwing firewood up in there, the lower bed would be an advantage. I would argue that a 926 would be faster than a Deuce, and with the power steering the maneuverability is kind of a wash.
that is my debacle as well, the 5 tons have good sides, and so do deuces.

Some may disagree as folks do have different tastes, we feel advanges of the 5ton include:

automatic transmission
power steering
improved brake system with ABS
thank you for your input

randygk

If you decide to go ahead at some point, please look into the Ca rules for commercial vehicles. If you want to put anything in the bed of the truck you must register
commercial, meaning yearly commercial fees ($700 up), commercial insurance (our is $720/year, we had to get it for our 5 ton with Historic plates because of weight), BIT inspection program, compliance with all CA truck programs. With Historic plates you bypass all inspection programs and license is $81 per year, but you cannot legally haul anything in the bed, hefty fine awaits. You're actually only supposed to drive the vehicle to shows or events, but I drive the Deuce and 5 ton at least once a month and have never been stopped. Yes, welcome to California.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks