• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Bed

doinworkinvans

First time poster here. Ive been slowly working on a '53 M37 for about a year now as I get money and time. Well the bed is almost done and time to go on the truck. Is there any spacers or anything that need to go down first? Or do you just bolt it down and its good to go? When I'm done with the whole truck I'm going to do a history of its coming together with pictures for everyone to enjoy. Thanks for you help!

Daniel

Oldfart

There are 4 bolts (2 - 2 3/4x1/2 NF and 2 - 6x1/2 NF) 4 - 1/2 washers and 4 pads used to bolt the bed on according to ORD 9 SNL G-741.

Last edited:

DAP

I have a bed floor from MWM on my truck. It is perfect. I also got the bed pads from him as above. Also perfect. I bolted my halves together with hex head bolts and fibre lock nuts instead of the screws as I had to grind out all screws due to rust. I figured with hex heads I can always use sockets and wrenches if I need to tighten or remove a fastner. I coated the bed with bed liner spray on from a can.

doinworkinvans

Sweet man that bed floor looks pretty nice I saw it on MWM. Mine is rusted out in the front passenger corner but im taking the cheaper way out and cutting it out and welding a new piece of sheet metal in. Id say its 15 inches by 15 inches square. The rest of the of the bed floor is just surface rust. However somewhere along the way the troop seat rails got concrete...yes i said concrete, poured into them :doh: dont know whats up with that. All in all im guessing ill spend a total of about two weeks working on it. Glad to see another NC M37 fan!

skinnedknuckles

Do you need that section of bed floor? I still have the floor that I used to repair my floor. I could look and see what kind of shape that section is in. When I did mine I used POR 15 on the tool box and inside of the box frame channels then while it was still tacky I dusted it with primer and when dry painted it O.D.. Good by rust forever.
Paul

doinworkinvans

thank you for the offer! But i believe i have enough to do what im looking at doing. Fortunately my grandad was a truck body builder so we have sheet metal and stainless steel sheets coming out the wazoo! Its not too big of a section so I will try my hand at it. Thank you once again for the offer!
-Daniel

majorhitt

If you could duplicate the bed that would save a few bucks. I didn't have 400 for the floor another 250 for the front panel and 250 more for crossmembers. Not to mention the shipping. I had to replace a lot of the cargo box panels. It sure would have been easier with the replacement panels!!

doinworkinvans

yea i think i just may need a new bed altogther. I took the fenders off and boyyyyyyy is it rusted between the fender wells and the bed frame. Its pretty much never going to stop rusting there, ill never be able to stop it. So ive kinda lost hope on this bed...sure wish i could find another! Any takers??!?!

98taco3

Had to buy a parts truck to get a hold of just the passenger bed side. I was lucky enough to have a rust free truck though. Look around a bit and youll find a better bed. Otherwise buy and ship take off parts from out of state, just sent a toolbox assembly to NC to replace a rusted one i assume...

xm708

bed

come on up to Vermont I have a bed that is already all taken apart ready for sandblasting and painting. super straight floor toolbox floor 100% and the sides are great few extra holes from the FD other than that it is great shape.

doinworkinvans

M37 Bruce that would be great if you could do that! VA isnt too far and i think it may save me alot of time...ill PM you my email address

and XM708 no offense but Vermont is quite a ways but always a pleasure meeting more and more M37 owners!

M-37Bruce

Made Info

M37 Bruce that would be great if you could do that! VA isnt too far and i think it may save me alot of time...ill PM you my email address

and XM708 no offense but Vermont is quite a ways but always a pleasure meeting more and more M37 owners!
I sent you an email off SS with some contact info.
TTYL,