• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Brake Issue

On my 1954 M37, I seem to have a problem with my left front brake. I stripped all 4 drums off, and replaced all 4 wheel cylinders. Upon closer inspection of the left front, it appeared that the wheel cylinder was 'bent out' from the way it sealed against the backer plate. (it seems like they just bent out the wheel cylinder to make it fit). I removed the backer plate, and proceeded to hammer and press it until the wheel cylinder would sit flush, like the other three. Now, I don't have enough space on the other side to hook it up to the brake hose/ banjo bolt/ brass knuckle. What gives? Is my backer plate all tweeked out? It wasn't much more than a few presses with a hyd press to get that cylinder to mount properly. There simply isn't enough room for the steering linkage vs. the back of the wheel cylinder. Anybody run into this? How'd you fix it??

Mike_L

Hmmm, does the new cylinder match the other cylinder in the back? There were left and right cylinders, front and back used the same cylinders.

Last edited:

Mike_L

Your backing plate looks like it could be distorted. The pressed out portion of the plate that the cylinder mounts to looks flattened to a degree near the bottom. I attached a photo of my backing plate and you can see the portion where the cylinder passes through the plate is pressed out, away from the hub equally from top to bottom. The bottom of your plate looks flatter, like it is closer to the hub than the top. Could be the photo angle though. Compare it to your other plates, I believe it is the same plate on all four wheels.

Attachments

Mike_L, thanks for the pic. That's just what I needed to know I wan't going insane. It's hard to tell what sadistic things the previous users of this truck did to it. I think I will just get a different backer plate, and try that out. The adjusters seemed run out all the way too, as opposed to the other ones, and I think that it had new linings on it. (not the other 3, just the one wheel with new lining on it :roll: ) Oh well, whats a few more parts. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks