• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Dash Panel Light Shorted - Sparks Flew

CAV84

All - Still getting use to this site. My '62 M37B1 had the left side dash/panel light hiss, spark and arc last week. I pulled the panel off and found a mess of (original) wires. Some are in pretty good condition, but others seem to be flaking/cracking.

SITUATION: The aluminum(?) connector melted to the light bulb socket and there are burn marks on the outer casing to the speedometer (yeh, it was a fairly intense short). I was able to break the casing free, but the wire is still connected. I thought I'd be able to solder a new 14g wire to the light bulb socket, but now, I'm not sure if that's doable (I don't know yet because I haven't had time to take the wire off/out of the socket). My plan is to cut the old wire, splice in a new piece of wire and reconnect to the panel light socket.

Is that a good plan? Can I do that without the casing? I have put Liquid Tape on some of the other flaking wires and do not want to mess with a whole new harness, if possible. Keep in mind my truck is for parades and car shows, so I do not drive it very often. My other option is to cut and secure the wire and, since I do not drive it often, rely on the one remaining dash light in the rare times I need to see the gauges at night. Suggestions, please! :O)

Last edited:

just me

You can dismantle the socket and solder a new wire to it. If you don't want to fix the harness and only use it as a parade truck on occasion, I would disconnect all the electrical except brake lights and instruments so you can lessen the chance of an electrical fire.

CAV84

"Lessen the chance of an electrical fire"!?!?!? Gee, thanks Sergeant Major :-| Actually, that's good advice, SGM.

Okay, while tinkering around with the panel and speaking to John at Midwest Military, I found the 2 to 1 Douglas connector. He has the parts for roughly $15 and told me it 'should' be an easy fix once I have the parts. I'll continue to use Liquid Tape and electrical tape where needed to prevent any further shorts. For now, it appears the problem is (will be) solved (once I get the proper parts). I will keep any and all informed on the outcome in the event others stumble upon the same problem.

dmetalmiki

That's a very nice looking truck, if it is the one in your avatar. (And so) I would still do a very thorough inspection of ALL the wiring on your truck to prevent any failure or short circuit somewhere else in the system.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are serious about keeping this truck long term, you should start saving your pennies, dimes and nickles for a complete set of new wiring harnesses.

There are lots of areas in the harnesses that have gotten stiff and brittle over the last 55 years that the truck has been rolling. The truck probably sat for a while and is now moving again and the flexibility in the wires is gone so there will be more shorts and failures. At some point you will get tired of chasing electrical goblins and gremlins. You'll either sell it or start restoring it (not just cosmetics like paint).

If you sell it, your problems are over; but, you may have regrets.

If you keep it you will need new harnesses.

Something to consider.

Your choice.

Good Luck!

CAV84

Yes, that's my truck in the avatar. I was never into cars as a kid and was never really into mechanical stuff throughout my years, even as a BMO in the Army. I am learning now, such as removing and fixing my fuel pump, that it comes with ownership of a vehicle that is one month younger than me. So, you're right...I realized that a lot of the wiring will have to be checked and repaired, eventually. Liquid Tape will help in some cases, but not always. Thank you for the compliment on "Humpty" (my M37).

CAV84

Yes, I realized that once I started looking at the wires behind the dash panel. I'm going to have to start spending more time with it and learning the electrical system. I've heard the harnesses can be very time-consuming. Thanks...Nic pic, by the way.

CAV84

Yes, that's my truck in the avatar. I was never into cars as a kid and was never really into mechanical stuff throughout my years, even as a BMO in the Army. I am learning now, such as removing and fixing my fuel pump, that it comes with ownership of a vehicle that is one month younger than me. So, you're right...I realized that a lot of the wiring will have to be checked and repaired, eventually. Liquid Tape will help in some cases, but not always. Thank you for the compliment on "Humpty" (my M37).

Last edited:

CAV84

dmetalmiki - Yes, that's my truck in the avatar. I was never into cars as a kid and was never really into mechanical stuff throughout my years, even as a BMO in the Army. I am learning now, such as removing and fixing my fuel pump, that it comes with ownership of a vehicle that is one month younger than me. So, you're right...I realized that a lot of the wiring will have to be checked and repaired, eventually. Liquid Tape will help in some cases, but not always. Thank you for the compliment on "Humpty" (my M37).

just me

If you buy a harness, make sure it is new and not old stock. Or you will be in the same boat. Buying one is pricey but makes for a quick and easy job. Making your own is not for amatuers. At least not if you want a nice clean long lived harness.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nice looking truck to start with. I think they are great little trucks and so simple to work on. Like working on an old farm tractor that you can drive down the road. As long as you have the patience to go slow, they are great.

Keep your eye out for the manuals, buy them when you can and read them. It will help a lot and you will better understand the design and performance envelop. If you are happy with, and content to stay within those parameters, you will delighted with the truck.

It is much happier off road than on road, and it loves slower speeds.

I've had mine for 37 years (it is the only pick up truck I've ever owned) and it just gets better and better. I find that driving mine is not only fun but relaxing too.

Good Luck with it!

CAV84

Ok, if it's NOS, and never been used and/or still in the box, are you saying the wires might be cracked or brittle? Either way, good advice. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

just me

I have plenty of NOS stuff here with wiring. (Radio, accessories, lighting) all of the wiring sheds it's insulation on the first flex. I bought rolls of new manufacturer wires and the correct crimp tools to rewire the items. Remember this with NOS regulators, headlight switches (full of wires inside) lamp housings, etc.