• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Driveability

kdaniels

If you want your truck to last keep the RPM's down and road speed 50 mph or below for a stock M37. Once I considered my M37 for a DD, but found I didn't have the time for a "fun" drive and needed to get where I had to go post haste. A CUCV 1008 or 1009 will make a better every day ride than a M37... the 37 is better suited for a slower pace in life which sadly seems to be in short supply on the highway's of America.

SEMPER FI !

keith

ez8

I've found my M37 likes to cruise at 35 mph in 4th gear. The machine is happy there and spending more than a few minutes at this speed taking in the country air makes me happier, too. I feel like it rides better than my 2017 GMC in some respects.

I like to tell people that it's inconsequential how slow the truck is because wherever I'm going, I'll get there.

kpj5br

I have jumped into the M37 world and did a lot of research prior, as you are now. I have (and still do) want a civilian power wagon, but I found I could get close with the M37 for a fraction of the entry price for something running well and in decent overall condition.

I uploaded a few pics of mine to an album in my profile, but here are the basics so you can compare (I don't claim to have gotten a great deal or anything, but I feel good overall about the purchase):
- 1952 with PTO Winch
- Almost all original, as far as I can tell the two changes are a stainless exhaust and 12V conversion
- Extremely little rust, just a few bubbles here and there. All body is straight and tight except tailgate has some dents
- Starts instantly and runs at 40mph all day long, smooth, straight, and shockingly quiet.
- Documented history from Camp Ripley in MN, to the previous owner, to me, which I think is cool.
- Speedo and oil pressure guages work, the rest don't
- Wind shield wipers do not work
- Has all parts and canvas for both cab cover and cargo cover
- Original troop seating in the bed, spare in bed, and original auxillary jump seat behind the spare

What I currently have into it:
- purchase price $10,500 cash
- brand new Coker Firestone 9.00 x 16 tires, tubes, linings, $1,700 installed
- brakes bled (no money)

I have driven it for several hours on 90 degree + day, with the windshields open I don't get hot, it is the most awesome air conditioner ever IMO!

I have 6'1" and 260 pounds. I'm just fine driving for hours, but I for SURE am going to modify the seat cushions to give some more room for my legs - and if I have a big lunch the bottom of the steering wheel can rub my gut!

It took me a solid 2 hours of various driving to be able to do it without thinking. The gears are LOW, and you have to PLAN to stop (others have said this many times). Once you're used it IMO, no big deal.

People of all ages LOVE to go for rides - from my 77-year-old "senior chief" who will ride shotgun in parades, to kids loving to go get ice cream riding in the back.

My previous "toy truck" was a 1979 ford bronco with a similar 4-speed geared low, and other than that bronco having power steering it's funny this M37 feels relatively similar.

Could not be happier with my purchase!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks