• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Emergency Brake Drum

Most importantly.. What size is the large center (or gland) castle nut that connects the e-brake drum to the transfer case? My socket set gets spotty at about 1"+....... Any tips on removal of the e-brake drum and band? On inspection of mine, I found it cracked and missing a piece, and the band trashed. Any secrets to adjustment, after getting this all installed? I understand the principal of this item; I just have no experience with anything like this......!

Mike_L

The book (TM 9-8031-2, fig 128) shows it as 7/8". It has been awhile since I've been under mine but in my mind, I thought it was bigger.

When I changed my brake lining out, I could not get it to seat correctly to spec. After I drove it around some, about a week, it seated better and I was able to get closer to spec. Seems I remember reading at the time that this was common until the band seated and would need frequent adjusting initially.

One thing I noticed with new linings, the anchor clip bolt (the safety wired one on the left side) would not thread back in (the threads would not grab) so I used a longer bolt until it seated better. I was eventually able to get the shorter (1 1/4"?) bolt back in once the band was broken in.

That's about all I remember of it that I had trouble with. I don't think I ever got it exactly to spec but it holds on the second notch and doesn't seem to rub when the truck is moving (or doesn't feel hot when I check). Close enough for me.