• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 fuel filter upgrade

F18hornetM

Thought this may help some others looking to get rid of those cheap plastic inline filters. My M37 did not come with the original fuel filter . I made a new place for the after market fuel filter/housing. Mounted itwhere the orginal was mounted. I also plumbed it in using tubing instead of fuel line as it will last lots longer and looks better.
Napa part # is 4309. its a 1" x 12Thread for the filter.
Napa Filter part # is 3123
I also made a heat shield or the fuel pump that was missing as well as rerouted the fuel line to the crab, further away from the exhaust manifold. m3735[1].jpgm3734[1].jpgIMG_1037 (640x480).jpg

F18hornetM

What you don't like a white filter Frank?? LOL... yeah thought about painting OD just haven't gotten there yet. Lots more work to do but coming along nice. Since its my wife's truck I have some serious cheer leading going on!!

FrankUSMC

My 1942 WC52 has that same sat up done by the Norwegians during one of it's rebuilds. The truck is still 6 volt, and very original except for the fuel filter. I thought about it, and like you, I still have the modern one on the truck.
...and like you it is still white.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

F18hornetM

Actually any marine [boat] type fuel filter and housing would work. The white does stand out...But this is going to be an Air Force truck [which it really is] and they don't care about camo.. Hard for me being a Marine to paint USAF on it. Anything I get hold of, becomes USMC. I know you old jar heads know what I mean.. :)I just could not go with strata blue, which was its original color.

FrankUSMC

NOOOO, do not paint it blue......think about it!!!
As a Marine you will wear a cover, looks cool, fits great, paint it blue, you get to wear a base ball cap...really???, and think of you language, you will have to change every thing, when you give an order, you have to throw in "please". Instead of " I am going to the head, now it will be I am going to the powder room". No more, One more screw up and I will have you in the brig, now it will be, One more time and you are grounded.
Also, they always aim high, you and I both know you aim high, you miss the target!!!!!
Oh, God, now I need a drink....
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

F18hornetM

Frank your a riot!!! My son and I laughed silly over your reply. No way will it be blue. We will keep it Air Force but will be Olive Drab[23070].The main reason for keeping it Air Force and olive drab, is my wife wants the star on the hood and door. After all its her truck really. I never saw a Marine truck with a star and just cant put one on there. But I did find one picture of an Air Police truck in Vietnam with one. So...green with a star and Air police on it. My dad was in Air Police during Vietnam as well and the M151 is painted that way.
The cowl in this picture will be the color of the rest of it. When I find a trailer for the M931, it can haul the M37 around.
image8 (640x480).jpg

FrankUSMC

Why don't you find a trailer for the M37, and haul the M931 around with it? The M37 can do anything!!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

F18hornetM

Funny you say that. When its done we planed to hook up the tow bar with the M37 pulling the M931 and post it as "Another recovery gone as planned" [thumbzup]!!!! Just for fun, but bet I would get some nasty remarks.

GUNNY 155

Semper Fi Marine! Two of my kids are career USAF so my contribution to them was to use a USAF cab tub from Davis Monthan AFB on my frame off restoration. Followed by a couple coats of USMC green. Post some pictures so I can send them to my kids so they know what Strata Blue looks like.

F18hornetM

Gunny is that 155 in 29 palms?? I spent 2 years with TEECG back then, Now called something different I think, but the unit ran all the live fire desert exercise's back then [84-86].
Oh the blue is hidden under some awful lime green. probably some Army unit color...[teasing]roflIt will NOT be blue when Im done though. Something just wrong with a truck made for war to be Blue!!

GUNNY 155

Yes that picture was out at the stumps as we called it back then. I think that was back in 1977 on a Fire Ex with 4/14. I was with Kilo Battery and ran the gun platoon. I also served as Asst. Battery Gunny at the same time. They had us out at a place called Camp Wilson which was a bunch of conex boxes, tents and 8 hole latrines. The engineers had a couple shower tents with wood floors built and some stand up tables built in the mess tents. Not sure if it is still there. Wasn't bad though, the brass from main side stayed out of the place so we got to train a lot and not waste a lot of time cleaning and shining stuff. I forget how much ordnance we went through but it was a lot. Got me a bunch of time on the M2 50 cal when I was there so I was happy. :razz:

F18hornetM

That's awesome. Camp Wilson was there when I was there in the 80's as well. Its where all the battalions stayed as they rotated in and out of live fire exercises. I was originally assigned to 27th Marines, radio platoon, then 1/4 radio platoon, then permanently assigned to Tactical Exercise Evaluation Control Group. [T.E.E.C.G]. We were actually assigned to headquarters battalion. Like you mentioned we spent so much time in the field that we never stood any inspections or any other duties that normal units do. Another interesting thing about my assignment was there was as many officers as enlisted. Every Officer had an enlisted radio operator/driver. Lowest rank officer was a captain. I used to know how many nights I spent in the desert, and have since forgotten but it was a huge amount if time. Thing I liked best about the job was I got see everything in Marine inventory shoot. Arty, tanks, Planes, infantry weapons etc you name it.

To everyone else, Sorry off topic, just remembering past times.

Ok to make this a little about trucks, we had M151s, MRC109s, MRC110's, M35's, M813's and just before I left M923's. Sorry no M37s or Humvees. :D

Semper Fi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks