• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Fuel Pickup Alternatives

ez8

Hello, I'm new to the board and new to the M37. I have a Willys MB, though so not entirely new to the MV world.

My question is in regards to the fuel pickup on the top of the fuel tank - can it be replaced with something other than the complex apparatus that sells for $179 on Vintage Power Wagons?

I'm working on getting a 1963 M37 that's sat for a decade running and of course the fuel system is a mess. What I'd really like to do is use the stock fuel pick up top part (that screws to the fuel tank) and dangle a fuel hose down into the tank (maybe with an inline filter on the end). Is this a viable alternative?

Your advice is appreciated.

CGarbee

The short answer is that you can replace it with a tube with (or without) a filter on it...
That complex bit is really just a tub with a filter around it...

My M37 with the Cummins 4BT has a modified pickup in the tank that is just a rigid tube (piece of brake line) with a generic sick filter on the end that I got from a local auto parts store.
I run the XM708 without a filter on its pickup, but I do swap out the in-line filter often (I use the disposable, plastic bodied ones so I can see how dirty they are before I start having running issues...).

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Midwest Military has a M37B1 fuel pick up tube (stock) which has the fuel filter on the end of the pick up tube. It is an improved, modernized version of the original. You might try calling John Bizal at MWM and talk to him about it.

I've had my M37 / M42 for almost 40 years and have played with these trucks a lot. My suggestion, just a very humble suggestion, is that you replace all the fuel lines from the tank forward and the entire brake system. These trucks are 50 to 60 years old and they really need a lot of their systems completely rebuilt at this point; they are beyond piecemeal patching and grudging parts replacement to be safe and dependable. It will also eliminate a lot of future headaches.

It' just a suggestion, though.

Good Luck!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will give a huge SECOND to what Storm 51 just said!!! I have a 52 M37 and in the very least I will be replacing all the fuel line from the tank forward, I should be ashamed of the patches etc. I have on the truck right now, Well come to think about it I AM so it will be replaced this year! And great suggestion as usual Storm 51!!
Karl

ez8

Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll start a new thread about the rebuild of this big green brute so I can track its progress. I also want to get some advice on a "pre-start" checklist to make sure I'm not missing something. See you there...

foxtrk2

ive had a 63 b1 for seven years now and I agree that its deffinately worth doing all the things you listed and deffinately replace the fuel lines from the tank to the engine one major problem I had in the beginning was the dist cap it was a replacement and had cracks in it check that or youll go crazy trying to get it to run right good luck