• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 - Homemade troopseats

MDSA

Purists, please be advised that the modifications you are about to view are NOT standard. Please do not excommunicate me from the true faith; I'm just CHEAP.

Been wanting troop seats for the M37, but I am not paying $340 for the hardware. I used Deuce troop seat hardware and it was a perfect fit. I had to make a hinge out of 2 eyebolts/hinge with a bolt through the eyebolts and Deuce hinge. Also had to cut the last 1.5" off the horizontal part of Deuce
metal that supports the wooden seats.

The only thing that cost was the bolts for the hinge and the wood which I would have had to buy anyway.

And i finally got the 3 bows finished. I know I am missing the slat that connects them.

Now I need a cheap source for canvas.

2 questions: What is the horizontal bar in the last pic? It was on the bed of my parts truck so I transferred it to my runner. One on each side. The holes were already in the bed for them.

Also: Is there a way to attach the mirror hardware on the passenger side AND have a jerry can? The hardware sticks out about 1.5" and does not allow the jerry can in its cradle.

Attachments

cornrichard

I like it. You are not going to show the truck as a restored to perfect vehicle. You will put a bunch of your stuff in there and it will stay dry. Try to get a little bow in your top pieces so water does not puddle in your tarp. Good work!

majorhitt

I don't have a picture of the side with a good view of the bracket. The one photo you see the pack closest to the cab, there are the bows stacked in the stowed position ( still gray primer), that bracket would have a strap to hold them down. As for the mirror arm, The two bolts one above and one below the door hinge, I made a bracket one long L arm and one short L arm. Use a long mirror arm from the L's to the back of the mirror. I copied one from a M37CDN truck. It still hits the door window. The photo with the door open shows the mirror and arm , I don't have a shot of just the bracket.

Attachments

nattieleather

They look good. If you don't tell anyone they are not original I doubt but a few true purest will even know you used duce seats. That looks great!

MDSA

CornRichard - thanx for the suggestion; this is the one time i want wood to sag.

MajorHitt - thanx for the idea. I fabricated an arm today (sorry no pic) after bolting the L-bracket to the side as you suggested. Just need a mirror for the passenger side.