• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Horsepower Question

ab705

Over the years, I've heard the HP rating of the T-245 engine in the M37 bantered around quite a bit. Some say it's rated at 78 HP, while others say it's 94 HP. I'm OK with either one, but I'd like to affirm which is actually correct.

I have a copy of the Army/Air Force TM 9-1840A technical manual, "ORDNANCE MAINTENANCE, ENGINE, (DODGE MODEL T-245), CLUTCH, (BORG AND BECK MODEL 11828," published in June, 1952.

m37-tm-9-1840A-cover-smaller-image.jpg

The information is listed as correct to 20 February, 1952. Following is an excerpt from page ii of the manual:

m37-tm-9-1840A-p-ii-excerpt-smaller-image.jpg

This manual is described as applicable to the M37, M42, M43, and V41. Following is an excerpt from page 1 of the manual:

m37-tm-9-1840A-p-1-excerpt.jpg

On page 8 of the manual, as shown below, it indicates that the brake horsepower rating (gross) is 94 HP:

m37-tm-9-1840A-p-8-excerpt-hp-torque-smaller-image.jpg

So, is 94 HP correct?

If you think it's 78 HP, I'd like to know the official government or manufacturer documentation for that information as it applies to the T-245 as used in the M37, not just something someone wrote on their website or in an article, unless they name, or have a link to, the official source.

As mentioned, it doesn't matter all that much to me whether it's 78 or 94 HP; I just want to get it right.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fan eats up at least 5 HP, and your 25A 28V generator = 700 Watts , figuring 740 W/HP.

So at least 6hp are lost, not counting the water pump.

We are probably lucky to get 50HP at the wheels, what with the friction and hysteresis of the drive train. Just that 300 deg F transfer case has to get that energy from somewhere...

ab705

That fan eats up at least 5 HP, and your 25A 28V generator = 700 Watts , figuring 740 W/HP.

So at least 6hp are lost, not counting the water pump.

We are probably lucky to get 50HP at the wheels, what with the friction and hysteresis of the drive train. Just that 300 deg F transfer case has to get that energy from somewhere...
Yes, I totally agree that by the time power reaches the wheels, there are a number of significant losses.

I'm just researching the actual engine HP specification (gross, less accessories), so that I get it right in anything I write up about my project.

My M37 has a hefty 100-amp alternator (I believe it had been a radio truck), and when that's working at full output, I imagine that it would drain around 4+ HP. It has a four-belt pulley, partly for redundancy I would think, but also because combined with the fan, etc., it would put a pretty good load on the fan belts.

Edit: I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet, so for now I'll continue to assume that the T-245 engine in my M37 is rated at 94 brake horsepower, per the TM.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks