• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 hub install question

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to install the disk brake installed hubs. I don't have the manuals yet and want to know if there are any wierd install things and I need the torque for the hub nut. Everyone I know doesn't have M-37 manuals. Thanks in advance.

M37Dodge

Frt hubs procedure is the same as the rear. It is a good idea to replace the brass front axle bushings just inside the knuckles while you are there. The 40+ yrs old bushings are likely worn out, causing leaks and excess axle wear.

Ft lbs on the inner nut? Sorry, not spec on hand (I could look it up this weekend). I snug and add 1/4 turn for proper bearing preload. NO problems in the years I've owned M37s. However, I only drive ~2K mils per year and repack the bearings more frequently than most people.

Mike_L

The TM states (for all 4 hubs) to tighten the inner nut until the bearings are tight then back off 1/6th turn, rotate tire to check tightness. The outer nut just gets tightened down on top of the locking ring. That's on page 350, paragraph 226 of TM 9-3080(1955).

The flange nuts are torqued to 30-35 ft lbs (page 229).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks