• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Licensing

simbalion

I am wondering if an M37 can be retitled as a pickup or not? Right now mine is titled as a truck and in Ohio that can lead to expensive licensing and problems getting insurance. :( :lost:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yes why not , take out the bows , seat etc. if you want and get it inspected, looks like a pick up to me... - Ive only had 3 and 2 were titled as a pick up , and one said truck but noone cares in my state.

Dodge man

Must be an Ohio thing. What's the difference between a truck and a pickup truck? Here in Florida they're one and the same. Florida does charge more for heavier vehicles but AFIK there's no distinction between truck and PU truck. Title transfer, sales tax, tag and registration as a standard PU (not antique) cost me $140 for my M37 IIRC. Insurance was $101/yr.

tstone

Can you register it as historic - antique? This should save you on registration and insurance costs if you are not using the vehicle frequently.

simbalion

Sadly, Ohio is very 'anal' about vehicles. Especially my insurance company. Anything 1 ton and over and they won't insure it unless you get 'fleet' insurance. Ohio also charges about twice as much for licensing 1 tons and over if they are classified as a truck on the title. Unfortunately, other surrounding states are starting to follow Ohio's example and Ohio keeps raising the licens rates every year.

Kasper31

Here in Michigan I registered mine as a 1952 Dodge pickup and it has a historic plate on it,,,however this means that I can NOT us it as a daily driver. However ..........sometimes one just has to do what one has to do..........

You can't wear it out looking at it, use it, if it breaks you found your limit..........

Dodge man

Sadly, Ohio is very 'anal' about vehicles. Especially my insurance company. Anything 1 ton and over and they won't insure it unless you get 'fleet' insurance. Ohio also charges about twice as much for licensing 1 tons and over if they are classified as a truck on the title. Unfortunately, other surrounding states are starting to follow Ohio's example and Ohio keeps raising the licens rates every year.
Can't you license it as a 3/4 ton? After all that's what the name says and rated capacity is. If they argue then take in the official US Government manual with the specs for it along with a photo of the name plate on the dash. Don't know how they can make you insure it as a "fleet" when it's only one vehicle! And, that's the insurance company's doing and not the state. At least that would be the case here in Fla. Some Ins companies here want you to get a commercial policy if you more than 8 or 10 vehicles (the # varies by company) but in cases that I know of, that's usually cheaper than a bunch of individual policies as long as you or another stated person are the only drivers. Where it gets expensive here is if you have a commercial vehicle and an Ins policy that lets ANYONE drive them. The Ins companies charge out the waazoo for that since some of those people may not be good drivers and many will have a "F*ck It! It's not mine" attitude.

It sounds like it's time for you to find a new insurance company!

simbalion

Thanks for all the advice. My truck still has the Pennsylvania title tag riveted to the dash for when it came out of military service. Pennsylvania called the truck a model D52 and put it under truck classification. Of course, the truck had gone straight from the military to a construction/well company! The Ohio title also calls it a model D52. I'll go down to the title office and see what happens after I get my 1966 Ford F-250 set up for sale. I have to sacrifice one truck to redo the other and am also needing to get a better everday vehicle right now.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try the tact that you purchased the M37 and unfortunately discovered that the PA title has errors on it. Ask Ohio what you need to do to correct the errors, i.e. should be a 3/4 ton pickup truck. You may also be able to contact the State of PA and try the same thing if this doesn't work in Ohio. Maybe PA would issue a new title in your name with the corrections, and then you could re-title it in Ohio.

Dodge man

I would try the tact that you purchased the M37 and unfortunately discovered that the PA title has errors on it. Ask Ohio what you need to do to correct the errors, i.e. should be a 3/4 ton pickup truck. You may also be able to contact the State of PA and try the same thing if this doesn't work in Ohio. Maybe PA would issue a new title in your name with the corrections, and then you could re-title it in Ohio.

That sounds like the best route to take. I think it being classified as a "D52" is the problem.

I just looked up D52 truck and didn't find much but did find this:

"Dump Truck D-52. Main Technical Specifications: Model CGR-D52 N.V.W: 40000KG Payload: 52000KG Overall Dimension(LxWxH) 9200x4770x4750mm Wheel Base 4390mm".

It sounds like a D52 is BIG dump truck! No wonder Ohio DMV and the insurance company gave you fits about registering it!! Sounds like the well/construction company may have given you the wrong title! You might go back and talk to them and see if they can sort it out.

If DMV won't sort it out. I'd see if one of the title companies can get you a new title with the proper classification (3/4 ton Dodge M-37 PU) and serial number. I think they usually charge about $300 for that service.

Keep us posted on what happens.

simbalion

I checked the title tag on my M37 today and it does not give a model designation after all. It appears it was Ohio that gave the truck that designation when it enter this state years ago! I think they just took 1952 Dodge and condensed it into a model number. I can only track it back as far as Adleman's here in Ohio. I do know now that it entered civilian service in December of 1974. Has the date on the tag. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks