• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 + mercedes What do you think?

sak778

What is the trans out of? I'm guessing an S-10? But is it from a 2.8 or a 4.3 version? What are you planning to run for a transfercase? What is the bellhousing that you are using from?
Thanks, Sean

derby

The OM617 is a great engine. With that being said they are cold blooded. You will need the glow circuit and relay as posted earlier.
Before putting it in the truck I would do a couple things. Check the rear main seal, Check compression should be 350lbs +, Remove glow plugs and ream the bore and put in the best new GP's on the market. Check the turbo oil drain grommet and tube. check the vacuum pump. and the front balancer bolts. If the IP has the screw in type primer You might want to buy the updated one as those old style can leak and get air in the system. And adjust the valves (required every12-15K)

Also, as Strelnick mentioned check out Peachparts.com. there have been some conversions there that have gone well and some not so well. One issue was the peak HP and tourq curve in relation to the drivetrain.

There are also some other small parts you will need for proper operation. The ignition switch has a vacuum switch that kills the engine, You will have to fab something up to kill the engine or pop the hood every time.

I look forward to seeing more on this project !

ODdave

I have the glow plug harness and relay from the other engine. As for the trans I need a 4x4 t5 from a 2.8 OR just the mainshaft and tail housing (I can biuld the rest from a 2wd). The shut down is not a problem, just fab a mechanical switch. As for a t-case, probably just run a 208 or 241.

bellhousing & flywheel are from an om621

The deuce trans would be way to big, I was going to stuff a 4500 behind it but it too is overkill, Sux because I have tons of those:(

Last edited:

Tanner

Use a simple cable pull at the dash to kill the pump... and if you retain the vacuum pump, you can get a rebuild kit if pump needs it instead of replacing the pricey pump.

How's the oil pan chop looking?

'Tanner'

sak778

Dang, I just scrapped one of those complete with transfercase 4 weeks ago when I downsized to move before the 1st of the year. If I happen across another I will let you know, If you want. Shipping shouldn't be too bad.
Why not use the 2wd trans and the original transfercase? Am I missing something?
I'm still thinking of doing one using a mercedes into a jeep 2wd ax15 manual trans into the original transfercase. Or a ford IDI diesel. . . . .

ODdave

2WD trans is WAYYYY to long. 4x4 is something like 8-12 in shorter. and the original t-case sux.

Thanks for looking out for the parts, help is greatly apreciated.

chris1530

I have the trans and mated transfer case, sitting outside, outa a 85 s10.
Trans isnt not the best i think it had a 3rd or 2nd gear pop out.
If your interested let me know, i was gonna scrap it.
Bummer is im in Nor Cal, dont know what shipping would run ya..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks